talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Woodpeckers

Woodpeckers Precision Woodworking Tools made exclusively in the USA since 1988

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2016, 10:03 PM

Default Dowel Press

Just got an email about the dowel press and also saw it at WIA last month.

Leaning very heavily towards a purchase, although I don't think of dowels in the joinery sense much, so I'm a bit disappointed in the limited sizes available for decorative uses.

Wonder how easy it would be to have different diameters machined or if we could "talk" them into milling others? I'm guessing that there is a limit to how small you could make one as it likely would bow and break.

OneTIME Tool - Dowel Press
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-13-2016, 12:57 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Dowel Press

It's not something I'd put to good use so I'm passing on this one, what applications do you see yourself using it for?
Old 10-13-2016, 02:22 AM

Not for me.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-13-2016, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

It looks like a beautifully made tool, but it's not something I can imagine myself using (particularly with the Domino).

I bet if you emailed the Woodpeckers guy (sorry I can't remember his name, but it's on the site somewhere) he would entertain your idea, Rutager.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
Just got an email about the dowel press and also saw it at WIA last month.

Leaning very heavily towards a purchase, although I don't think of dowels in the joinery sense much, so I'm a bit disappointed in the limited sizes available for decorative uses.

Wonder how easy it would be to have different diameters machined or if we could "talk" them into milling others? I'm guessing that there is a limit to how small you could make one as it likely would bow and break.

OneTIME Tool - Dowel Press
We have gotten a few requests for 20mm and 5/8" die's. We'll be adding those dies as individual options to the web page this morning. I can't promise anything but if you let me know what size you would like and more than just one or two people want it, we'll try and accommodate it. Thanks. This is Rich by the way.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:05 PM

Hi Rich,

Thanks for responding. The answer is, I don't know what size I need!

I envision using the dowels in "telescoping" fashion drilling holes into the end of one dowel and then putting a dowel into that hole and on and on to make decorative dots or ellipses if I drill the corresponding hole at an angle.

I have a DJ-1&2 drilling jig from Bridge City and bushings that step in 32nds of an inch starting at 1/16th to slightly less than 3/4", so it is possible that I might want a bunch of different sizes for whatever creative urge I want to "itch."

Just like drilling bushings, I imagine that the steel isn't terribly expensive, but the setup time is the "killer," make enough and spread the cost of setup over hundreds of bushings and it becomes minimal for each piece.

Could you make a set of 20 or so cutters for a reasonable cost if you had enough interest?

Best,
Rutager
Old 10-13-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
It's not something I'd put to good use so I'm passing on this one, what applications do you see yourself using it for?
Hi Paul,

I've put dowels into bowl and plate blanks and then turned them- stepping up in size in a row in a wood like Ebony on a cherry bowl looks very nice.

If you drill at an angle and flush a dowel in, you get ovals type shapes.

Using a drill bushing, you can literally drill in to the end of one size and keep inserting and drilling and you end up with a group of alternating rings. Here's a post I made on the BCTW forum showing an example.

BridgeCityTools.com • View topic - Custom made dowels and DJ-1
Old 10-14-2016, 03:32 AM

Hey Rutager - thanks for the link to that BCTW post...

Since you have used a dowel plate, have you considered going to a local machine shop and getting them to drill a piece of steel for a custom dowel plate from 1/16 to 3/4 in 16th or even 1/32 inch increments?

Given you got tear out in your sample project, I wonder if it was too much of a step up in size versus going with a graduated set of holes in a plate.

Not to take us off subject, but on the subject of imbedding alternate woods for decorative turnings, have you watched Frank Howarth's Youtube channel? He does some amazing work.

Check out this video as an example - he imbeds CNC cut clouds in a bowl.
https://youtu.be/M3cLpQMzBOE

Many more examples on his channel.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
Hi Paul,

I've put dowels into bowl and plate blanks and then turned them- stepping up in size in a row in a wood like Ebony on a cherry bowl looks very nice.

If you drill at an angle and flush a dowel in, you get ovals type shapes.

Using a drill bushing, you can literally drill in to the end of one size and keep inserting and drilling and you end up with a group of alternating rings. Here's a post I made on the BCTW forum showing an example.

BridgeCityTools.com • View topic - Custom made dowels and DJ-1
Very cool. I can see why this OTT is appealing to you.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:06 PM

Regarding a dowel plate, I think, but have no proof, that hammering the wood through the plate contributes to the tearing out.

The pressing action of this tool seems like it would do a better job since the force is much more controlled.

If we had from 1/8" to 3/4" in 1/32" increments, that would be just about twenty bushings and flutted ones would not be needed.