Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Woodpeckers

Woodpeckers Precision Woodworking Tools made exclusively in the USA since 1988

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2016, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Dowel Press

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
Hi Rich,

Thanks for responding. The answer is, I don't know what size I need!

I envision using the dowels in "telescoping" fashion drilling holes into the end of one dowel and then putting a dowel into that hole and on and on to make decorative dots or ellipses if I drill the corresponding hole at an angle.

I have a DJ-1&2 drilling jig from Bridge City and bushings that step in 32nds of an inch starting at 1/16th to slightly less than 3/4", so it is possible that I might want a bunch of different sizes for whatever creative urge I want to "itch."

Just like drilling bushings, I imagine that the steel isn't terribly expensive, but the setup time is the "killer," make enough and spread the cost of setup over hundreds of bushings and it becomes minimal for each piece.

Could you make a set of 20 or so cutters for a reasonable cost if you had enough interest?

Best,
Rutager
They would cost about $10 each in a 1,000 pc run. So a second of 20 would be $200.

Rich
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-15-2016, 07:44 PM

Rich,

I would buy those in a heart beat along with the machine.

I'm sure you have a much better grasp on what your customers and the market are interested in, but I just can't think that dowel joinery is being used by a large portion of wood workers and that by offering the expanded decorative abilities, you might capture a greater amount of people.

Would it be possible to sell a kit with the 20 bushings rather than the set of 16 that has the fluted and intermediate bushings for just a bit more? Probably need to add one more thinner "pusher" rod as well.

Any idea how thin of a dowel could be made with the right bushing?

Thanks for entertaining my suggestion.

Best,
Rutager
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-15-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Rich,

I would buy those in a heart beat along with the machine.

I'm sure you have a much better grasp on what your customers and the market are interested in, but I just can't think that dowel joinery is being used by a large portion of wood workers and that by offering the expanded decorative abilities, you might capture a greater amount of people.

Would it be possible to sell a kit with the 20 bushings rather than the set of 16 that has the fluted and intermediate bushings for just a bit more? Probably need to add one more thinner "pusher" rod as well.

Any idea how thin of a dowel could be made with the right bushing?

Thanks for entertaining my suggestion.

Best,
Rutager
As for diameter, as one approaches 5mm, you pretty much have to choke up to 2" in length, depending on species and amount of stock removal. We got the best results by roughing down to .010" over the finish size then taking off the last .005" per side with a finish pass. So something to think about is if we make an incremental set in 1/16" increments, the finish in some cases won't be as nice. In my opinion that won't be an issue given that only the end is showing.

I don't have a problem offering an alternative version if that's what you want. If we replace the 16 joinery sizes with 20 decorative sizes, you'd be looking at +$40 over the regular price. However I'm not sure all 20 would fit nicely in the case. I can ask the office to check it out on Monday. (I'm on on my way to Maine).
Old 10-15-2016, 10:00 PM

If my math is right- often it is not! Going from 1/8th - 3/4 of an inch by 32nds would be about 20 bushings, giving nice steps down to the finished size, correct?

Though you are correct that dowels would mostly just be showing the end, I could see applications that would show a bit more of the sides, or even used as rungs, etc.

Also at 1/32" steps, you could press the dowel slightly over size and do a quick skew or sand on the lathe to bring it to size and perfection.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:47 AM

Hi Rich,

Any more thoughts on if you're going to be able to offer the decorative size bushing package?

Thanks,
Rutager
Old 10-21-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Hi Rich,

Any more thoughts on if you're going to be able to offer the decorative size bushing package?

Thanks,
Rutager
Unfortunatey we're not going to offer any additional sets or configurations. Sorry we can't accommodate the request this time.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:37 PM

Hi Rich,

Understandable as you have to produce such a large quantity to make economic sense.

I very much appreciate your willingness to listen and contemplate customer requests.

Best,
Rutager