talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Woodpeckers

Woodpeckers Precision Woodworking Tools made exclusively in the USA since 1988

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 03:20 AM

Default Red metal depletes my green

As a newbie, I've sworn off cheap tools. After having some cheap layout and measuring tools cause some terrible problems, I turned from the green to the red Kool-aid. My metric version of Woodpecker's story stick worked amazingly well and doubles as a great straight rule. Then I signed up for their emails and it seems like there is a must have every week ... The wife has already asked why I have so much new "red" stuff in the garage shop.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:39 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Red metal depletes my green

I just ordered about $250 worth of their stuff. This adds to a bunch that I already have. I love it - beautifully made, well designed, durable, and made in the USA. Too bad you missed some of the once-in-a-lifetime tools last month. There were some beauts.

Glad you discovered them. Nice people - I met some of them at the WIA last year. They have big dogs.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:05 AM

I thought this large story stick would be used sporadically - I end up using it a lot. I ordered a large triangle and a carpenter squares last week, and now like the look of the new metric framing square. I am bummed I missed out on those saddle T squares in March.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:23 AM

Ditto on the Woodpeckers measuring tools. I have a lot of them. The one time runs are killing me because I can't buy them all. But I have been able to get quite a few. Missed the 640 square ....thought I had ordered it but.....not.

I did get one of the saddle Ts should be here this week if it is on schedule. Also added the 49" woodworking rule and the metric one too.

Darn stuff is addictive!

Seth
Old 05-06-2011, 05:58 AM

I've only received the story stick so far. I really appreciated the quality packing job to ensure the item arrived undamaged. It was wrapped in bubble wrap, then put in a heavy duty poster tube. The poster tube was then in a secondary cardboard box. That explained the higher than average S/H fee.

I missed the metric rule.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

I really like my 24" rule with the center scale. I don't use it much, but when you need it there's nothing better. I just ordered their clamp racks and the SERX-36 straight edge rule. I think I'll find it useful in checking the flatness of panels. I think I ordered some other stuff too, but I can't remember. I like to be surprised later...
Old 05-06-2011, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Oh yes - I just checked my invoice: I got two pairs of those flat-bar clamps for clamping panels. I seem to be making more of them lately, so it seemed like a good investment.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:35 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

This 26x16 inch square is very tempting.

By the way, a square similar to the (no longer available) Enco product that Jerry Work recommended is now available at Grizzly.
8x18 inch for $63 "stainless steel construction"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
By the way, a square similar to the (no longer available) Enco product that Jerry Work recommended is now available at Grizzly.
8x18 inch for $63 "stainless steel construction"
Michael,

Have you bought any of the measuring tools from Grizzly? If so, were they worth it from a quality perspective?
Old 05-07-2011, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I really like my 24" rule with the center scale. I don't use it much, but when you need it there's nothing better. I just ordered their clamp racks and the SERX-36 straight edge rule. I think I'll find it useful in checking the flatness of panels. I think I ordered some other stuff too, but I can't remember. I like to be surprised later...
I have the Woodworking Rules in all the lengths. They are great!

Seth