talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Woodpeckers

Woodpeckers Precision Woodworking Tools made exclusively in the USA since 1988

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default Re: Red metal depletes my green

Wow Laurie, that is some store that you live near -- I'd be in real trouble if that store was near me (instead of a HD).
Do you NEED a router table? -- No, but it makes using a router much more fun and opens more opportunities. I would opt for your little band saw first especially if the Skipper isn't very tolerant to noise & dust -- routers make a fair amount of both.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post

... I would opt for your little band saw first especially if the Skipper isn't very tolerant to noise & dust -- routers make a fair amount of both.
I agree, bandsaw first, then router table. Or, you could start out with a smaller router table and get both at once.

In my opinion, a router table nearly doubles the versatility of a router. Some work requires securing the material and holding the router, and with other work there's no choice but to do it the other way around.

And I have to disagree with Michael (), with the right combination of bits, moving the the bit up and down, and the fence in and out, you can create or replicate almost an infinite number of profiles on a router table.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:15 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Yes, I think you just might need a router table.
And, hey, THIS router table is RED!
(and we all know how a girl likes RED)

But, first you better sneak out to the garage an find out exactly the make and model of the router that the skipper will not miss.
It's true. I have a girly shop and I do like red. A lot.
I think it is very considerate of Woodpeckers to make their stuff in my fav shop color.
But seriously....

There were actually four router tables in that aisle.
Three larger tables on stands (Kreg, Freud, and Woodpeckers), and a smaller Bosch benchtop.
IF a router table is in my future, I would want the larger, non-benchtop kind.

What I like about the Woodpeckers router table package:
  • The super cool router lift (duh)
  • The table surface (clean, white, unobtrusive - while the Kreg table is very nice, it's just so LOUD)
  • The Wheel Kit for the stand is included, and I like that the wheels are only on one side. So it could easily be rolled outdoors (for less dust in the shop), but wouldn't be likely to move around when it shouldn't. The Kreg and Freud stands will take casters (purchased separately), but they'd have to be on all four legs.

As for that router in our garage, it's a 25 year old Black & Decker 7616.
Looks like it's been accumulating dust and grime for about that long, too.
Even if it WERE on Woodpecker's list of compatible routers, I'm not sure I want to mess with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
Wow Laurie, that is some store that you live near -- I'd be in real trouble if that store was near me (instead of a HD).
Do you NEED a router table? -- No, but it makes using a router much more fun and opens more opportunities. I would opt for your little band saw first especially if the Skipper isn't very tolerant to noise & dust -- routers make a fair amount of both.
Hmmm.... Some things to consider:
  • The Skipper generally wouldn't be home when I'm making shop noise.
  • I would plan to use it outside in any event, so as to minimize dust in the shop.
  • The local hardwood supplier I found will do resawing for me.
  • Any of the 437 other things I don't even KNOW that I should know about.

Question:
Keeping in mind that I'm not making ANY further (power) tool purchases until I've actually built something first....
... does any of that change your suggested order of acquisition?

Bonus Question:
Is it just me, or does EVERYBODY have this much trouble knowing what they need (vs. what they want) and when they need it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-16-2011, 09:18 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

If you have to get a router table (says a guy with at least 3 not counting a couple of special purpose custom made rigs) you should go with Woodpeckers. They have been at it the longest and are still improving.

That said, you can easily get by with a simple table (non-lift) and a router like thisthis . Mount this basebase to the table and you can quickly move the motor from portable to table use.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:19 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post
It's true. I have a girly shop and I do like red. A lot.
I think it is very considerate of Woodpeckers to make their stuff in my fav shop color.
But seriously....

Three larger tables on stands (Kreg, Freud, and Woodpeckers), and a smaller Bosch benchtop.

What I like about the Woodpeckers router table package:
  • The super cool router lift (duh)
  • The table surface (clean, white, unobtrusive - while the Kreg table is very nice, it's just so LOUD)
  • The Wheel Kit for the stand is included, and I like that the wheels are only on one side. So it could easily be rolled outdoors (for less dust in the shop), but wouldn't be likely to move around when it shouldn't. The Kreg and Freud stands will take casters (purchased separately), but they'd have to be on all four legs.

As for that router in our garage, it's a 25 year old Black & Decker 7616.
Looks like it's been accumulating dust and grime for about that long, too.
Even if it WERE on Woodpecker's list of compatible routers, I'm not sure I want to mess with it.

Hmmm.... Some things to consider:
  • The Skipper generally wouldn't be home when I'm making shop noise.
  • I would plan to use it outside in any event, so as to minimize dust in the shop.
  • The local hardwood supplier I found will do resawing for me.
  • Any of the 437 other things I don't even KNOW that I should know about.

Question:
Keeping in mind that I'm not making ANY further (power) tool purchases until I've actually built something first....
... does any of that change your suggested order of acquisition?

Bonus Question:
Is it just me, or does EVERYBODY have this much trouble knowing what they need (vs. what they want) and when they need it?
Yes.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:

... does EVERYBODY have this much trouble knowing what they need (vs. what they want) and when they need it?
Another yes!

Old 06-17-2011, 12:23 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Okay, in THAT case, I'll just relax and enjoy the journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2011, 12:30 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Laurie,

Just a few thoughts in no particular order.

There are two new books out that discuss outfitting a shop, albeit their bent is towards hand woodworking.
The Anarchist's Tool Chest by Chris Schwarz is an effort to guide folks through a thought process and reduces the fluff as it were and get to a core set of tools.
The New Traditional Woodworker by Jim Tolpin follows his journey towards a (mostly) hand tool workshop.

When I visited Jim Krenov in 2005? or 6? I found his small shop extremely well outfitted (for him). He was building smallish cabinets then. I assumed that he probably used the school for any major machining he needed. I just found out that he didn't. He was very self contained in his 12' x 20' space. Three machines - an 18" General bandsaw, an Inca saw (259) and an Inca jointer/planer. He told me that he didn't use the planer, but found the jointer to be a joy. I think I've got pictures of his shop in one of my albums.

Dust - It's a big deal. A lot of woodworkers are content to not worry about it and are somewhat dismissive in their discussions about it. I've got a close and wonderful friend that owns a cabinet shop. He's old school and dust collection isn't a top priority in his shop. I can't be in there for long, especially in the winter when the place is closed up. No matter what anyone tells you, lung disease isn't something you want or anything you want to share with your loved ones. I spent too long in the fire service when we didn't worry about ourselves enough. It's catching up with a lot of us. The FD was all MEN back then, you know size 19 collars and size 3 hats. We all did a lot of reckless, careless stuff that isn't working out well in the long run.

I would recommend reading up on dust collection. There's good info out there.

Bill's Cyclone Dust Collection Research - Dust Collection Basics

will get you started. Some folks think he's overstating the case. When it comes to health issues, being overly safe might just be the way to go.

Sandor wrote an entire book about Dust Control. It's worth reading. Since I'm trying to move everything home (into a 1 car garage that shares other stuff), I'm leaning towards more hand tool use, and taking my machining outside. I have a little 1hp dust collector that I'll hook up to whatever, but outside is where it's going to happen.

I just visited two shops (College of the Redwoods) and the Four Sisters Shop in Ft. Bragg. Les and Harry patterned their shop after the school. Separate machine rooms and bench rooms. Not having the room or the luxury of space, my machine room is going outside. Snow and cold are an issue here, but life's too short to not be able to entertain myself until the weather gets better.

Sorry for possibly ranting, but I'm concerned about all of you out there........

Mike
Old 06-17-2011, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

I strongly agree with Mike about dust collection. I haven't been doing a thorough enough job, and I think I've begun to see the consequences. It's well worth the investment.

As for router tables, I don't have one. I could see that they might be useful, but for almost everything I do, the OF1010 and guide rails will work fine.

I'd spend my money on a bandsaw, if I were you.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
It's true. I have a girly shop and I do like red.

Erm, I've got a fair amount of red gear in my 'shop'. (Really, it's a closet). Should I let it know that it's been declared girly?

I have one of those Bosch benchtop models. It's ok, but just ok. One of the few things I've regretted getting. It takes some odd sized fittings for the miter and fence slots, so any off-the-shelf featherboards and such require rooting through the local hardware store. And with all the holes drilled into the plate, not one scenario matched up with my Bosch router. Sorta curious to say the least.

I keep thinking about getting a similar setup to what you are looking at (though where it's going to live on the 300 days each year that I'm not using it has so far tempered my enthusiasm). You might look at the Incra site and pair it with one of their LS systems for, well, incremental adjustments.