talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Walke Moore Tools

Walke Moore Tools There are several quality tool makers today and we hope to be among them, though our focused efforts will be on offering tools that are either not readily available today or are being made at an inferior level. Our goal is to design tools that function flawlessly, look beautiful, and last for generations. Located in upstate NY, our shop primarily consists of a full-time professional woodworker and a mechanical-engineer-turned-hand-tool-woodworker-turned-tool-maker. We design and try to manufacture everything we sell, but in some cases a certain component of our tools may not be feasible to produce ourselves. When we do outsource a portion of our tools, it is exclusively to local businesses ensuring that everything we sell is 100% American made.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2014, 02:04 PM

Default New to Hand saws, Hand planes, or Sharpening?

For those interested in learning more about hand saws, hand planes, or sharpening hand tools I have course material for all three posted on the WMT website. These are the hand-outs I give to students in the group classes I have taught in the past. I hope others find them useful.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-28-2014, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: New to Hand saws, Hand planes, or Sharpening?

These are great materials, Aaron. Thanks so much for sharing them.

Excuse my pedantry, but in the sharpening handout, the word you want is "coarse" not "course" when referring to the grits.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:09 PM

Well done, thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-28-2014, 09:17 PM

Thanks Poto, you are obviously correct. I've updated my hand outs accordingly.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

You're very gracious, Aaron, and sorry: I just can't help myself!

Great resources, though. I learned a lot, and it's clear that you've spent a lot of time figuring these things out in practical terms. I'm fairly convinced that I still have not made a sharp edge. I've managed some nice end-grain shavings from some of my chisels, but I'm betting they could be sharper. Something to strive for!
Old 05-30-2014, 06:52 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
You're very gracious, Aaron, and sorry: I just can't help myself!

Great resources, though. I learned a lot, and it's clear that you've spent a lot of time figuring these things out in practical terms. I'm fairly convinced that I still have not made a sharp edge. I've managed some nice end-grain shavings from some of my chisels, but I'm betting they could be sharper. Something to strive for!
Ever wonder what is happening on the atomic level as a razor sharp edge approaches?
Old 05-30-2014, 07:00 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Thanks for the work and links Aaron. A lot of good info there.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:08 PM

No problem MichaelKellough. As to the atomic level of sharpening, I don't think you have to take it that far to fully understand a metal's "maximum sharpness". The grain structure of the metal will determine how fine of an edge any given metal can reach. The smaller the grain, the tighter the radius that can be achieved between the two planes that create the cutting edge, and the tighter the radius, the sharper the edge. In my opinion there's little left to gain in practical sharpness at that level. If you're struggling for a sharp edge it's better to focus your efforts on achieving consistent edge geometry (use a honing guide) and taking it to a high enough of a polish (8,000+ on waterstones for instance).

Tags
free, hand planes, hand saws, sharpening, woodworking