talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Tools from Japan

Tools from Japan All about tools from Japan, whatever they may be…

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 06:21 PM

Default A little sharpening set anyone?

Hi All,

Just a little FYI for those of you out there that might be looking for some sharpening gear.

At the moment, I've put up a special set of stones, the same ones I use all the time for sharpening nearly anything I've got be it chisels, planes, knives or razors.

I won't wax lyrical about the set, they're just the same stones I use (new ones though, I'm still using my old ones!) but that's not the 'carrot' as it's being called.

There's a special waterstone tray in the set, which helps keep any mess under control and it includes some rather pedestrian chunks of rubber that work surprisingly well as stone bases. But this isn't the carrot either.

The carrot is an Atoma #400 diamond plate to keep the stones nice and flat. And it's included in the set for no extra charge.

I won't tell you "they're the best stones you can buy!" I'd rather you found out for yourself. All I can do is make the opportunity to try them out as attractive as possible.

And I can also tell you that this is not sustainable pricing. I don't know how long I'll keep it available at this price, so if you can manage it, jump on it.

The link to the store is in my sigline there, so please, take a look.

If you have any questions, I'll answer them as best I can.

Thanks,

Stu.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:51 PM

Default Re: A little sharpening set anyone?

Hey Stu, nice little set you've put together there! It's just what I'm looking for...can I be the second order you send out domestically
seriously, I could do with this set! How do I make payment?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-27-2011, 03:50 AM

Last domestic order was Yu-pack and postal bank transfer.

Seems to work ok I think.

I've gotta fix up the shipping stuff for inside Japan first, or alter the Kuroneko option and use that. It's not just case of 'switch it on', there's a lot of vastly different hoops to jump through before it works like it should.

(Just wish I didn't have to slice off that 5% for the taxman though. Hence my reluctance to sell much domestically...)

Stu.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:15 AM

Stu, PM me Your transfer data and the total cost with postage
most of the stuff I buy from around the country just comes japan post, in a box, stuffed with newspaper.
I don't mind how you send it, just give me the price and transfer stuff will ya!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-27-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaRanger View Post
What? Do we have to find our own link to your goodies?
I suppose you want me to ship it to you as well?

Sigma Power ceramic 1000-6000-13000-Atoma #400 set.

I'm not that well versed in this self promotion stuff, and feel kinda awkward doing any of it. Please excuse the lapses in concentration...

Stu.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:02 AM

oops - didn't mean to delete that one that makes your response seem a tad setsu-retsu.

Gomen nasai!

Old 08-28-2011, 01:05 AM

"Setsu-retsu". I'd never heard of that before...I had to go and check it's meaning. Where did you find that phrase Ranger?

Hey Stu, can I buy this sharpening set then pal?
Old 08-28-2011, 04:36 AM

It means awkward. I glommed onto it in Japanese 101 about a zillion years ago, and have use it to describe my use of the language in the intervening centuries. "Setsu" is tehen + deru....

Taihen yaku ni tachimasu, toku ni when you're trying to apologize for such clumsy use of the language
Old 08-28-2011, 04:58 AM

Okami,

Of course. No problem at all. As is normal though, there is no lighting response...

Good, fast, cheap. Pick any two. I try to keep up with the 'good' and 'cheap' parts, and working on the 'fast'.

Kind of surprised that there's not been a great deal of discussion on this little set.

Some of the best, if not the best tool sharpening stones on the planet and the gear to properly support them at what amounts to 'cost price' isn't that interesting?

I have a lot to learn about 'selling the product' I think...

Stu.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
Okami,

Of course. No problem at all.

Kind of surprised that there's not been a great deal of discussion on this little set.

Some of the best, if not the best tool sharpening stones on the planet and the gear to properly support them at what amounts to 'cost price' isn't that interesting?
Stu.
Yep that's why I want this set
I think there's quite a few Shapton users here, how would these compare to the same grit shaptons?

Stu, please let me know how I should go about putting an order in, and making payment...I'm looking forward to having a go with these