talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Tools from Japan

Tools from Japan All about tools from Japan, whatever they may be

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 04:29 AM

Default Re: A little sharpening set anyone?

Umm, Sigma #400?

It's not something I'd like to completely grind a bevel with, but for sorting out bevels it should be good. Problem being, it's #400 and if I need to do some serious 'grinding', I'll use a Sigma #120. And then the #400 to clean it up before going to the #1000, etc, etc.

I say 'should' because honestly, I haven't tried the #400 to grind a big, fat bevel in A2 steel. Just haven't had the chance yet, mainly because I've been too busy punting them out the door as fast as I can.

And there's no-one out there in the world who knows much about these stones, because none of them have arrived in anyone else's hands yet. They've only been available for 3 weeks, but there will be a glut of them popping up all over the world in the next week or two.

Says on the front of the box it's for high speed steel, needs no soaking, etc.

I can confirm that it chews into really hard HSS very, very well. Feels very much like a new Atoma #400 does, with a strong 'bite' and the only difference is that the Atoma will settle down somewhat after a time, whereas the Sigma does not back off, it just keeps going. Doesn't clog, works fast, stays admirably flat, works with danged near any steel out there and at the moment it's dirt cheap. And needs a squirt of water and get to work. Genuinely no-soak.

Yes, I like this stone. I like it very, very much because it's mine.

Runs off with blade to learn something new...

So, I just had at it on my LN #164 (A2, 25*) and the Sigma #400 chewed through it very nicely. A few small nicks were gone in seconds (30-40 I suppose) and it bit into the bevel and back as nice as can be. I also tried it with an iWood #300 diamond plate and a Glass Stone #320. I think the Sigma was faster than the iWood diamond plate, but not really fair to the diamond plate there. I think it's on a par with the GS #320 (only with this blade) and that's interesting. The GS is white, the Sigma is brown. The steel shows up very strongly on the white, not much on the brown. The GS is 45.94 micron, the Sigma is about 32 (much finer) and the finish off the Sigma is quite a lot smoother. On the bevel, the GS looks faster, on the back, the Sigma looks faster. The GS took about 25 rubs on the diamond plate to flatten after, the Sigma 20 and the GS is easier to flatten, but the Sigma is not difficult and your Atoma shouldn't have a problem with it.

All in all, very telling. At a glance, the GS and Sigma seem to be fairly even with each other, but when it's all added up, I think the Sigma is ultimately a little faster, is more useful and is a better stone because it's working just as hard as the GS, isn't as coarse (moot really, but anyway) and 5mm of Sigma will last as long/longer than 5mm of GS, but there's 25mm of Sigma #400 there.

Whew, got worried there.

(As a side note, I've compared the Sigma #400 to DMT XXC, XC, Naniwa Chosera #400, Superstone #220, Shapton Glass #320, King #300, King #400L, Atoma #400, iWood #300, Select II #240 and a few other incidental stones. All of the above are recognised as being decent at least. The Sigma #400 compares favourably with all of them.)

I think that if you need to use the Sigma #400 for more than a couple minutes, you're asking too much of it. It'll get there of course, but if it's taking that long, you should be using something more aggressive like a Sigma #120 or a grinder/belt sander.

Just my thoughts.

Stu.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:08 AM

Thanks for all the info Stu
So, you think my Atoma plate will be okay on the Sigma #400, with the Atoma being #400 also?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-24-2011, 03:56 PM

The Atoma seems to be ok, but you can tell it's working hard.

It's not the abrasive as much as the binder, and the Sigma #400 has some pretty tough binder in it.

Judicious use should keep the stone very flat, and it stays quite flat all by itself, so it shouldn't be a big problem.

Stu.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
The Atoma seems to be ok, but you can tell it's working hard.

It's not the abrasive as much as the binder, and the Sigma #400 has some pretty tough binder in it.

Judicious use should keep the stone very flat, and it stays quite flat all by itself, so it shouldn't be a big problem.

Stu.
Well, in that case Stu, I'd like to give that #400 Sigma a go, if you're up for sending as before
I've got a couple of almost worn out shapton m5's here, do you reckon I could stick an Atoma diamond sheet on it somehow? If so, what grit would work best with the #400 Sigma?
You can PM me the details (prices) etc..if you like Stu. We can use the same POD as before.
Let me know mate
Okami
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-30-2011, 09:31 PM

Got my 3 packages today and it included a water bottle
Thanks Stu - you were a great help, and thanks for your immediate responses to my email questions - can't wait to sharpen my blades
Old 12-01-2011, 01:16 AM

What did you get Colyn, the sharpening set?
I've used mine a fair bit now, i think it was a real bargain!
I'm adding the #400 sigma to the set and another diamond plate to handle it
I'm also thinking about a kanna..I'm torn between HNT Gordon and a Kanna
Let us know how it goes!
Old 12-02-2011, 01:10 AM

Okami
I got the set 0 1000/6000/13000 - atoma and squirt bottle
'I have a tormek so should be all set for major dings -
Old 12-15-2011, 10:43 AM

Anyone else see the fine woodworking article on water stones?
Stu's Sigma Power set got a best overall editors choice, along with shapton and Chosera
Good onya Stu
Old 12-15-2011, 02:26 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Anyone else see the fine woodworking article on water stones?
Stu's Sigma Power set got a best overall editors choice, along with shapton and Chosera
Good onya Stu
Which issue (month) is that in?
Christopher Schwarz is returning to natural oil stones, his flock usually follows...
Old 12-15-2011, 03:31 PM

Hi Ron!
If you are a member ( I recently became one ) you can read it online
Tool Test: Waterstones - Fine Woodworking PDF Cover Page

I never have been into all that schwarz business