talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Tools from Japan

Tools from Japan All about tools from Japan, whatever they may be…

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 04:10 PM

Default Iwasaki wood files.

Hi all,

Like the title says, this little post is about Iwasaki wood files.

I'm not asking about how well they work, even though I've never tried them. The tooth pattern isn't that unique here, I've got several wood files (not rasps, they've already TOLD me they're not rasps!) that share a similar pattern.

What I am curious about is which of their wood files would be most useful/desirable (sizes too please).

Their English site is -> IWASAKIFILE.CO., LTD.

But do please take a look at their Japanese site too. There's a bunch of stuff hiding in there few know about.

The short version is, I've been prodded by a few folks to get these wood files in stock, and I've in turn finally prodded Iwasaki, and they're tentatively said "ok".

Just to see where the rabbit hole leads here.

(If only every tool making concern here was as willing to allow me to sell their wares. Normally it's "no" or "please, please, please, please, PLEASE!!!)

Stu.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Iwasaki wood files.

I have the set of these that Lee Valley sells. I really love them. It looked like on the Japanese site they had some with really small teeth - looked almost like shark skin. I'd be interested in seeing those.

I'd strongly support carrying them. They're great tools. Though competing with LV may not work out so well...
Old 07-06-2011, 05:28 PM

I have two of the shorter 'wood carving' files, ones with the rubber like material on the handle. Both flat, one red and one black. I like them allot and more, with curved surfaces, are on my wish list.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-06-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I have the set of these that Lee Valley sells. I really love them. It looked like on the Japanese site they had some with really small teeth - looked almost like shark skin. I'd be interested in seeing those.

I'd strongly support carrying them. They're great tools. Though competing with LV may not work out so well...
Noted. To start, I'm kind of restricted to what I can and can't get my hands on. Not limited by Iwasaki per se, but that I need to buy by the case. It adds up fast.

Competing with LV? Already doing that, not worried at all. Well yes worried, but not for the reasons you might think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrawford View Post
I have two of the shorter 'wood carving' files, ones with the rubber like material on the handle. Both flat, one red and one black. I like them allot and more, with curved surfaces, are on my wish list.
Do those small ones have the "bull's eye" branding of Iwasaki on them? If they do, that's something I was not aware of.

Oops, just checked. They're NT Dresser. Shouldn't be a problem to hunt them down. I'll shoot them an email soon and see what can't be done there too.

At least with those little gadgets, it shouldn't be a problem making available all 100 or more of the things, rather than just a few.

Stu.