talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Tools from Japan

Tools from Japan All about tools from Japan, whatever they may be…

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 06:04 AM

Default Wow, my own little playground!

Hi all, and thanks to Fred and John for letting me have my own little home here.

That's all I got. I'm running around like a lunatic today.

Stu.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-11-2011, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Wow, my own little playground!

Congratulations Stu
Lets hear more about the tools You are coming across, and how they are used...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-11-2011, 05:08 PM

Hmm...

Need to put in a question with Tsunesaburo about plough planes. They don't list them, but I think they make them or can have them made.

I'm looking at some more stones, not expensive, but unknown branding.

I'm going to put the feelers out on at least 2 more chisel makers.

New Mitsukawa saws will be listed in the coming month, upgrading from 2 selected types to 'all of them', priced keenly. Also got the word from the man himself they're all fine for hardwoods, but if you're hacking up exotics then we need to tweak the teeth.

I've also got plans for several videos. Only problem is I need to do something about the sound problems, which entails a new camera to do it with. The DSLR I'm using takes good pictures, but sound isn't great and it won't focus on the fly. The HD video camera I have does everything well, but uses tapes, which means several hours of extracting video, then processing it into something useful.

Once the new camera shows up (I need to work out which one!), then I'll get stuck into that a bit as well, and drag it along to Miki for a few video sessions with the folks making the tools.

If only I had more time in every day...

And this is just the 'definite' stuff!

Stu.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Administrator

You're certainly a nice addition to our little forum, Stu.

Now get to work on that hoop fitting video.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
Hi all, and thanks to Fred and John for letting me have my own little home here.

That's all I got. I'm running around like a lunatic today.

Stu.

Stu,

You are more than welcome and will be another tremendous addition to our forum. As far as running around like a lunatic you must know that you have joined a forum filled with lunatics.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 06-12-2011, 07:29 AM

Yattou!

Yookosoo tF-e!

Now, if I could only figger out how to Kanjify this keyboard.... dakedo, kono inakkape wa hijoo-ni baka deshoo....
Old 06-12-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaRanger View Post
Yattou!

Yookosoo tF-e!

Now, if I could only figger out how to Kanjify this keyboard.... dakedo, kono inakkape wa hijoo-ni baka deshoo....
抱けどこのいなかっぺは非常に馬鹿ですよう。

Does that help?

And thou should not be so hard on ones self. Or you can come live here, Hicksville, Japan...

FWIW, I'm bashing this in on a keyboard you can't even buy in Japan, had to bring it in from the US. Worth every yen of trouble though, since when I'm bashing in English, at least all the keys spit out what they say on them. Took some time to convert back from Japanese keyboards where the apostrophes and brackets and such are all scattered.

Now, back to work.

Stu.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:35 AM

Hey Stu,

For those new to you and not too familiar with Japanese tools, would you mind explaining what you do in more detail?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:57 AM

Hi Shawn,

Just quickly because I really do have work to get done.

I run an internet site, Toolsfromjapan.com.

Heck, Japanese tools are available in many places, right? What makes me anything special?

My pricing is based on an 'in Japan' model, so whether you buy from me or from a store in Japan, you shouldn't see much, if any difference and more often than not, my prices are better. The time to actually get the tools is identical, as most tool stores in Japan keep only a representative of the tools (at best) and will get in whatever you want when you want it.

My supply line from the makers is measured in days, not months. Just means I can get anything reasonably possible made up, and to a point, almost everything is 'special order'. Want a different handle on your chisel? No problem. A raised bedding angle on your plane, easy. Teeth cut on your saw to handle bubinga? Done.

It makes a difference to be not just a name to the makers, but a face and voice as well. And partly because of that, I've picked up a lot of information along the way directly from the source. I've had my own prejudices and thoughts changed, and I've been asked to do what I can to correct the image of Japanese tools as well. Sometimes this doesn't sit well with some folks, but I recently published a video about a kanna, and the information in there wasn't through some third party, not what I read somewhere, it came from the guy who made the plane.

I don't know everything, but I do have the luxury of being able to ask someone who does know when I don't.

While I may not have all of the established and well known Japanese makers yet, those makers I do work with are pretty good and I can trust their tools.

I hate blowing my own trumpet, I really do, but sometimes there's nothing else to do and I think this is one of those times where I need to put it out there, and say "this is who I am, this is what I do and this is why I do it".

There's also the small detail that I can and do use the tools as well.

So, that's me. The short version.

Stu, toolsfromjapan.com
Old 06-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
So, that's me. The short version.

Stu, toolsfromjapan.com
Nice post, Stu.

If I may, I would like to suggest that you add your website to the bottom of each of your posts by adding the link to your signature line. To do so, select "User CP" from the top menu and choose "Edit Signature" from the menu on the left of the resulting page, then place your cursor within the edit box and click your mouse, select the "Insert Link" button above the window and lastly replace the "http:/" in the pop-up window with your website's address. Now you'll have a clickable link to your site at the bottom of each and every one of your posts. Kind of like saying,