talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Tools from Japan

Tools from Japan All about tools from Japan, whatever they may be

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 04:49 AM

Default Re: Wow, my own little playground!

Those are Koyama's aren't they Stu?
What's the handles made from?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-29-2011, 07:53 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Those are breathtakingly gorgeous.
Thanks for sharing!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-29-2011, 05:28 PM

Hi Ron,

Not listed yet, but I'm working on it right now.

Best to kick the moths out of the wallet right now, they're not 'inexpensive' being about double the price of normal chisels AND available in Oire and Shinogi profile.

As a side story, these are unique to Koyamaichi and I have my own little bent to the story...

Last year at a tool show in Miki city I was invited to attend by Mr. Koyama(ichi), I was just hanging out at their booth after a bit of a run around looking at everything that was there. At the same time, a bunch of carpenter types were considering buying several sets (6) of these chisels. Mr. and Mrs. Koyama were busy with other customers, and because I was sitting there, I was working there, right? So one of them asked me (the only round eye in the room) if the chisels were any good.

Naturally I said they were fantastic, and would buy them myself if I had enough money on me because they were stupid cheap.

10 minutes later, I'd evacuated all of Mr. Koyama's dragon chisel stock, and he didn't have enough chisels of any kind left to plug the hole left by their absence.

I think the lunch Mr. Koyama gave me was a good investment that day.

Okami, the handles are a specially harvested hardwood sourced from the grounds of a sacred temple that are possessed by the spirit of a stripe tailed serpent like creature and must be cut only by the priest with a ceremonial blade.

Or they could be swirly dyed white oak. They look cool as heck though, don't they? I don't know how they're made, and I did ask but the answer was not forthcoming. I could list them as an option for any chisel, but don't want to.

Stu.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:21 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
Hi Ron,

Not listed yet, but I'm working on it right now.

Best to kick the moths out of the wallet right now, they're not 'inexpensive' being about double the price of normal chisels AND available in Oire and Shinogi profile.

As a side story, these are unique to Koyamaichi and I have my own little bent to the story...

Last year at a tool show in Miki city I was invited to attend by Mr. Koyama(ichi), I was just hanging out at their booth after a bit of a run around looking at everything that was there. At the same time, a bunch of carpenter types were considering buying several sets (6) of these chisels. Mr. and Mrs. Koyama were busy with other customers, and because I was sitting there, I was working there, right? So one of them asked me (the only round eye in the room) if the chisels were any good.

Naturally I said they were fantastic, and would buy them myself if I had enough money on me because they were stupid cheap.

10 minutes later, I'd evacuated all of Mr. Koyama's dragon chisel stock, and he didn't have enough chisels of any kind left to plug the hole left by their absence.

I think the lunch Mr. Koyama gave me was a good investment that day.

A) Okami, the handles are a specially harvested hardwood sourced from the grounds of a sacred temple that are possessed by the spirit of a stripe tailed serpent like creature and must be cut only by the priest with a ceremonial blade.

B) Or they could be swirly dyed white oak. They look cool as heck though, don't they? I don't know how they're made, and I did ask but the answer was not forthcoming. I could list them as an option for any chisel, but don't want to.

Stu.
Make mine choice "A" please.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:56 PM

I like the stripe tail serpent story better too
They do look quite stunning! What's the cutting Steel then Stu and what's that set cost?
Old 06-30-2011, 04:03 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
I like the stripe tail serpent story better too
They do look quite stunning! What's the cutting Steel then Stu and what's that set cost?
Yes?

Can the chisels in the set be pick & choose as far as the sizes? Example: say four (4) chisels from about 8mm to 16mm and one maybe 50mm?
Old 06-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post

I agree. I'm interested too.

And please don't tell me that Fred has already ordered a set.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:24 PM

I wish the striped tail serpent was true, but alas, they're only swirly dyed oak.

It's typical actually. Where many would stick on an ebony handle, Koyama-san being eminently practical chose to use an eminently practical handle for the things.

Steel is Koyama-san's preferred steel, blue steel. He likes it, I prefer white myself, but they're his babies so he sets the specifics.

Bit and piece, I can conjure something like that up I think. That set is a one of, being the 'other half' of a ten piece set.

Normal 5 piece sets are 9, 15, 24, 30 & 36mm, 10 piece are 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 24, 30, 36 & 42mm and that's it except for a few specified sets that are available.

So, making up a 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 and 42mm set shouldn't be much of an ask, although it might make some interesting comments come out of Koyama-san. Probably not good ones, but interesting all the same. And besides, when some of these go out the door on his end, he can't possibly be upset about it.

He'll do them in shinogi (low profile, dovetail) as well. No extra charge (from me) on them.

Sitting down are we? Good. The price...

Full set is price controlled, I can't do much about this other than ship them on my own coin, and the cost of a 10 piece set is 110000 yen/or about $1350 dollars right now. That 5 piece set, being a half was half the price, 55000 yen.

And yet, my bill shows them individually plus a box. This is a contentious issue between myself and Koyama-san, since in the past I've asked for boxes, and he tells me to buy a set to get the box.

This time, I didn't get an actual set, but got the box. I told him "I got my box!", and he hated me for that. He's had some back trouble, and his laugh nearly crippled him...

Please let me put him in pain again. That'll learn him!

And it's things like this that put perspective on my pricing policy.

Koyamaichi dragon chisels, set of 10 for sale somewhere in Japan...

Okami can probably tell you, if he's had a look, my pricing is not too much different to what you'll find in most actual stores here in Japan. Occasionally, I've looked at actual stores and found my prices are better (and sometimes not so good) and in the past, I've actually paid more for stuff than I've bought some things at for my own use.

Now if you will excuse me, I really do need to get to work. I've got a spreadsheet full of interesting numbers and words. Things like "white oire multi" and such.

Stu.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:40 PM

Stu, please tell me more about the blue steel / white steel -- why do you prefer white steel vs. his preference for blue steel?
Old 07-01-2011, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post

Okami can probably tell you, if he's had a look, my pricing is not too much different to what you'll find in most actual stores here in Japan. Occasionally, I've looked at actual stores and found my prices are better (and sometimes not so good) and in the past, I've actually paid more for stuff than I've bought some things at for my own use.

Stu.
it's true, there's not much at all between stu's prices and my local tool shop in Fukuoka city. Stu might actually be cheaper in some areas. If Stu sold tools domestically I'd buy from him simply because I know I'll get what I'm paying for and can trust him to give me all the correct info I need to make the right purchase.

Also because I like Oasis, and I've got all of Noel's albums