talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > General Information > Forum Help Desk > Tips for New Users and Guests

Tips for New Users and Guests This forum contains a growing list of tips and tricks for new users and guests.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Founding Member

Default Using Google to Search talkFestool

For a quick search or a search by user name, the talkFestool search engine works nicely. However, sometimes you want a more robust search engine for complex searches. This is where Google shines. The downside of using Google is that you'll also get all sorts of results with your talkFestool results. That is, unless you use the "site" keyword!

To limit results to a single website, simply add "site:" and the website's web address in the Google search box. For example, let's say you want to search talkFestool for topics related to using your MFT to get a nice square cut. In the Google search box you enter:
Quote:
site:talkFestool.com MFT squaring
Now you'll see a nice list of all posts where "MFT" or "squaring" are mentioned. This includes all forms of "MFT" or "squaring" including "MFTs", "square", "squares", etc.

But what if you only one posts with the exact phrase "MFT squaring"? You simply surround the phrase with double quotes (") like this:
Quote:
site:talkFestool.com "MFT squaring"
Now you'll see a much smaller list with posts containing the phrase "MFT squaring".

As they say in the TV commercials, "But wait! It gets better!!!". Suppose you want to search talkFestool OR another site (like Festool Owners Group) for some phrase. Use this syntax:
Quote:
site:talkFestool.com OR site:festoolownersgroup.com MFT squaring
There are many other Google tips and tricks for using site search (like filtering out certain words) that are listed here: More search help : Google search basics - Web Search Help.

Enjoy!

Dan.

p.s. Paul Marcel showed us these tips starting in this post: Parallel issues with the MFT. Nice work Paul!

Last edited by DanClark; 01-08-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-08-2010, 04:18 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor
Default Re: Using Google to Search talkFestool

Awesome tip! Thanks, Paul and Dan!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

What a great tip! Thanks so much. That's really going to help in a lot of my work, Dan. Wonderful! Thanks, Paul for pointing this out.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Yes, thanks to Paul for pointing this out. And thanks to Dan for laying it out so clearly.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Founding Member

You're definitely welcome! However, let me expand a bit on the topic..

The talkFestool search engine is pretty good, but one limitation it has is that it only performs an "OR" search. I.e., it will return results if ANY search criteria word is found. For example, when you enter "MFT squaring" in the Search box, it fill find all posts or threads which have EITHER "MFT" OR "squaring" in the text. As of this writing, this talkFestool native search for that phrase will return 26 threads or 44 posts with one of these words in the text.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/genera...er-please.html. Notice that it only contains "squaring" and has nothing to do with an MFT! Ding, Ding! Not good.

OTOH, if I use Google and enter this search criterion:
Quote:
site:talkFestool.com MFT "squaring"
I get 10 posts - all of which are much more focused. Posts includes "MFT" AND "squaring".

Regards,

Dan.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:17 AM

Location: 41°N 79°W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

An excellent tool, thanks!