talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Tico Vogt - Custom Furniture & Cabinetry

Tico Vogt - Custom Furniture & Cabinetry "A cabinetmaker of twenty five years, I'm turning my attention to tools and products for the woodworking shop. The Super Chute, a high end shooting board, and the Micro Sharp Honing Kit are the opening offerings. More good stuff to come."

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 01:18 PM

Default Pronounce the family name right, damn it.

How many products have you seen that devote a line to explain pronunciation?

These photos were provided by someone inquiring whether I had information about this electrically-powered device which was manufactured @1930 by my grandfather’s and great uncle’s company mentioned in this post a year ago. If anyone does, please pipe up. No company product information is available to me.

I can tell you that the family name is more often than not pronounced differently than the label demands, Voit being the most common. There have been some extreme interpretations. In summer camp I once missed my call to perform at a diving competition when the announcer called my turn: “Tick Vog (as in fog)-Tee”. Who the hell was that?

If you really want to get down to it, the label still gets the pronunciation wrong. In German the hard v sound doesn’t exist, so: Phote.

As for the object made by VOGT, is it pronounced like “how” with a following “er”? I hear it, the PHOTE-MAUER.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Pronounce the family name right, damn it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticovogt View Post

How many products have you seen that devote a line to explain pronunciation?

... I can tell you that the family name is more often than not pronounced differently than the label demands, Voit being the most common.
Tico, I can understand your frustration. In my lifetime only a handful of people have pronounced my name correctly the first time they saw it. Correcting folks is an automatic reaction that I developed as a kid, and still do every time. (My wife gave up years ago )

I got your name right the first time I met you, because I asked you how to say it. That's a habit I developed for whenever I'm not sure, also because of my own experiences.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, people have always had a hard time with my name too. When they stumble during their attempt, I usually pipe in with, "that's okay, it took me years to get it down."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-21-2013, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Believe it or not, I've had the same problem. It's amazing how many people pronounce "F-R-A-N-K-S" as "Peters". Weird.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
How many products have you seen that devogt a line to explain pronunciation?
Fixed.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-21-2013, 10:26 PM

I never was a candidate for this problem because my grandfather had the good sense not to retain the unspellable and unpronouncable family name when he entered the country. He chose the last name of the then current President as our family name.

Charles
Old 07-22-2013, 02:46 AM

Good ones, guys!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesWilson View Post

I never was a candidate for this problem because my grandfather had the good sense not to retain the unspellable and unpronouncable family name when he entered the country. He chose the last name of the then current President as our family name.
Interesting story.

Just think, depending on the time of his arrival you could have been Charles Taft or Charles Harding.