talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Tico Vogt - Custom Furniture & Cabinetry

Tico Vogt - Custom Furniture & Cabinetry "A cabinetmaker of twenty five years, I'm turning my attention to tools and products for the woodworking shop. The Super Chute, a high end shooting board, and the Micro Sharp Honing Kit are the opening offerings. More good stuff to come."

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 02:23 AM

Default Donít drink the glue water.

There is an open plastic margarine container on a shelf in my shop filled with water. The head of a toothbrush floats, bristles down, the handle balancing on the rim. A PVA glue bottle stands next to it. This is my set up for glue spreading. Pull out the brush, shake off the water, and spread some glue. Very cheap and efficient.

Last week I found a dead Wolf Spider in the water. Either it had slipped into the cup while trying to drink, or taken a drink and succumbed to the toxicity and fallen in.

For me, it is a reminder of the dangerous products in the containers and jars we woodworkers more or less take for granted.

This winter Iíve had an ongoing case of sinusitis. After two treatments of antibiotics, it has returned. When I put on my dust mask it sometimes feels like I have my nose up someoneís bum. The smell and taste of very putrid rotten potatoes comes and goes. It would seem that the volume of wood dust, which I deliberately try to minimize, is taking its toll. Dust collector, vacuum, and masks have always been part of the shop procedures, but plenty of dust still makes its way into the nasal passages.

My experience is nothing compared to the people working in the Furniture Industry. Watch this video about the plight of workers in North Carolinaís furniture factories and consider what you are exposed to in your workshop.

Two craftsmen whose products are part of the solution are Stephen Shepherd and W Patrick Edward.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: Donít drink the glue water.

I think the NY Times story illustrates the law of unintended consequences as well as pointing out the dangers of industrial solvents. They point out that a previously used glue was less "ozone friendly" and replaced with the glue more acutely toxic to a few humans than a hole in the ozone is to the masses.

The foam that peeled off the space shuttle's fuel tank, causing damage that proved fatal on re-entry is another example. The originally used foam was not "ozone friendly" and replaced with a "safer" foam that did not stick quite as well with resulting catastrophic consequences.

Are the risks of change being properly evaluated before being implemented?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-01-2013, 03:52 PM

I doubt they are.

In the case of the solvents, both the first and the subsequent were lousy. Shouldn't we insist on products that are benign to the ecosystem, human and non-human?

The way the manufacturer neglected responsibility to the workers' safety points up the basic problem, which is the mad rush to get stuff out there to make a profit, long term consequences be damned.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

I think part of the problem is that many of these changes are being mandated under deadlines set by non-scientist politicians who are only looking for a good sound bite to make a decision on. I think that more research needs to be done before condemning products and replacing them with untested alternatives, as in the case with space shuttle foam and the old glue.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-02-2013, 01:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

I have to laugh at all of the public opinion polls I see online now under news items. I'm old enough to have plenty of opinions about lots of topics, but as I've aged, I've also come to realize that frequently I don't have the science to make a proper decision. Just because it sounds "right" doesn't make it so.............
Old 04-02-2013, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
I think part of the problem is that many of these changes are being mandated under deadlines set by non-scientist politicians who are only looking for a good sound bite to make a decision on. I think that more research needs to be done before condemning products and replacing them with untested alternatives, as in the case with space shuttle foam and the old glue.
I think you hit the nail on the head with the "non-scientist politicians". I worked in a few different government safety agencies and the scientists have little choice on deadlines, if the law has a deadline in it, then they have to use that same deadline in the regulation. Even more egregious, they may even require something in a reg that cannot be done at this time - the political cover being "if we put out a reg that requires this, then someone will develop it via market forces." Many of us in the West are still struggling with the revised EPA standards for arsenic in drinking water, much lower than previous standards and at that time no known way to achieve it. Lots of false starts and wasted money trying hare-brained schemes that looked good in the lab, but failed miserably in the real world. Its a tough problem. IMHO, too many people have blind faith in science and expect miracles when good science takes time and money.
End of rant, sorry...
Old 04-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

One of my all-time favorites is that we "need to reduce CO2 emissions." I remember from high school biology that the byproducts of respiration are CO2 & water vapor. That is why everyone loses a pound or two sleeping every night, despite the claims of weight-loss pill-sellers on TV.

To reduce CO2, we need to ban all activities that produced elevated respiration in the billions of human beings in the world. No more gym class. No more sports. No more concerts that cause thousands of fans to jump & scream. And probably most effective of all- NO MORE SEX! This will reduce CO2 levels for those presently alive and curtail the birthrate to the point that the human population will decrease to an environmentally sustainable level.

I think I'll apply for a grant to study the probable benefits of this hypothesis. In Hawaii.