talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Tico Vogt - Custom Furniture & Cabinetry

Tico Vogt - Custom Furniture & Cabinetry "A cabinetmaker of twenty five years, I'm turning my attention to tools and products for the woodworking shop. The Super Chute, a high end shooting board, and the Micro Sharp Honing Kit are the opening offerings. More good stuff to come."

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 02:12 AM

Default Repurposing offcuts.

We generate offcuts throughout the year in the workshop.

Chopped tails, tenon cheeks, waste from miters, offcut ends, pieces of dowel, slivers from rippings… you name it. If there is something big enough, I will do my best to save it for another use. What is left is generally burned in the woodstove.

That said, it’s not the most convenient thing to reach into a container, grab a bunch of small irregularly shaped pieces of wood with sharp points and edges, and reach into the stove box and sprinkle them about. You might, no, you will get burned that way.

At the initial stage of building a fire the offcuts are not helpful, unlike their featherweight cousins:

Once the fire builds and is fully underway, then they can be added very nicely packaged like this:

I save all the bits and pieces in sheetrock buckets and then pack them in the flat cardboard boxes we recycle otherwise. They burn very hot.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Repurposing offcuts.

...i hope that's a picture and not the real world outside that window/picture.
Strewth that looks cold and nasty.
Sorry for being nasty about your weather but it's 28C/82F here and I could not live where you are.
Maybe for a visit to see the snow, but I love my sunshine and heat.
BTW your window scene would make for a good picture over here
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!