talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Tico Vogt - Custom Furniture & Cabinetry

Tico Vogt - Custom Furniture & Cabinetry "A cabinetmaker of twenty five years, I'm turning my attention to tools and products for the woodworking shop. The Super Chute, a high end shooting board, and the Micro Sharp Honing Kit are the opening offerings. More good stuff to come."

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 04:41 AM

Default One thin blade to provide a livelihood.

They look like little wooden shoes, no? Actually, they were picked out of the refuse pile.

On this beach on the West Indian island of Antigua Iíve had two occasions to enjoy the fruits of this manís labor:

He told me to call him Fadi the Pineapple Man. My apologies for the terribly incompetent photography (no skills, cheap camera, brilliant light).

Fadi has been wielding a machete since age six. He harvests local pineapples and coconuts and sells them at Turners Beach.

When the black pineapples are ripe, they are out of this world. Immature coconuts yield coconut water, now in vogue among the hyper-healthy, and the ripe ones, of course, provide delicious sweet coconut meat.
His machete is very thin.

He explained to me that a very sharp blade is not helpful and the salt dulls the edge anyway. He can use a piece of coral to touch up the edge. Only once in awhile will he take it to a machine shop for grinding.
It is uncanny the way he can use the machete to open up a coconut.

There is a great amount of force initially as he attacks the husk, laid against his thigh, and pries away the thick fibers. Once the nut is revealed he then switches to a very controlled series of chops directed around the circumference. The wrist action is quick and precise.

How good is his technique? He saved practically all the water in this nut, no sloshing away of the tasty liquid.

The curved end of the blade scoops out the meat:

I have to think that pineapples and coconuts are very good dietary staples judging from the health and vitality of Fadi.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:05 PM

Default Re: One thin blade to provide a livelihood.

I have been drinking coconut water/milk from 1979. It is very healthy for you. I would not go as far as what I have seen some of the bottlers claim, but it is high in antioxidants and aides in digestion. I usually drink coconut water and ginger tea every day. I find the taste appealing with very little sugar.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:23 PM

Sounds like a fine combination!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:44 PM

Ok, I'm ready for that beach after waking to nine degrees and the wind blowing this morning. The coconut sounds good too!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-24-2013, 09:53 PM

It's going to about minus twenty here tonight. Ready to go back. I didn't mention the Rum drinks. They are quite desirable.