talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Tico Vogt - Custom Furniture & Cabinetry

Tico Vogt - Custom Furniture & Cabinetry "A cabinetmaker of twenty five years, I'm turning my attention to tools and products for the woodworking shop. The Super Chute, a high end shooting board, and the Micro Sharp Honing Kit are the opening offerings. More good stuff to come."

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Left- Handed Shooting Boards.

Okami,

By the time he has power, it's likely that tectonic plate activity will have moved you close enough to John's shop, that you can walk over.

-Rutager
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I saw Tico's right-handed shooting board when I stopped for souvenirs in Warren, Maine. S m o o o o t h as silk! I did leave with a bag full - they give a 10% discount and a free T-Shirt if you mention you are a Friend-of-Fred's.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-05-2012, 10:58 PM

I'm of course very happy that the Vogt Super Chute is in the showroom at L-N. There is one aspect around it that could be improved. I actually find the circumstances hard to understand. That is, the sample boards they provide for people to try shooting on are, well, not properly prepared at all. Something like a scrap bin of leftovers, planed to thickness but with snipe, not a well jointed edge to use as a reference edge against the fence. Some figured boards had twisted faces.

The point of having a great plane and shooting board combination is for the final fitting. Anything you're going to be working on is nearly a completely finished piece. My opinion is that it doesn't help to sell the tool by working on a less than ideal set up, like using a dull blade.

I've offered to prepare samples pieces for the showroom but ....
Old 08-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Do it Tico. Just put "Shooting Board Only" on the faces so they know where to put them when UPS delivers.

The CSR did not know the price of the shooting board; only the price of the plane sitting in it. I think L-N would benefit from CRSs that know how to use and demonstrate products. I do have to say that the young man was very friendly and helpful otherwise. He basically turned us loose to play with anything we wanted to and arranged for Peter to give us a "Cook's Tour" of the factory, including explanations of the various processes by several technicians. I would highly recommend a stop there for any in the neighborhood.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959