talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Tico Vogt - Custom Furniture & Cabinetry

Tico Vogt - Custom Furniture & Cabinetry "A cabinetmaker of twenty five years, I'm turning my attention to tools and products for the woodworking shop. The Super Chute, a high end shooting board, and the Micro Sharp Honing Kit are the opening offerings. More good stuff to come."

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 03:21 AM

Default Re: Covington, Kentucky, 1913: A Family Mystery.

Great story. Thanks so much for sharing. Certainly makes you think... nature or nurture??...

My grandmother's maiden name was Meister. Her Uncle(???) invented the first embroidery machine. Still the industry leader. ( I believe, after all these years) I should also mention, I have no (other) connection what-so-ever... but sure is interesting.

Looking forward to seeing you in Cincinnati.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:26 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Seems like it's nature.
Have you heard of those studies of identical twins reared in separate circumstances?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-28-2011, 03:47 AM

I think in my father's case he benefited from both nature and nurture.

My mother told me her mother-in-law said that my dad received a watch for Christmas when he was five, took it apart, and put it back together. All through his adult life, and I remember it well, he'd wake up around two or three A.M. with what he called "God's Whispers" (though he was not a devout person) and write down invention ideas. That was his nature.

As far as nurture went, the German population that migrated to the US in the 1870-1880s under the reign of Bismark was filled with industrious folk that hit the US shores with tremendous enterprise, education, and skills. My grandfather, for example, had three businesses, in manufacturing with his brother Henry, his own jewelry and clock store in Louisville, and real estate. He knew the value of a dollar.

Their culture valued education and skill development very highly, not to mention the work ethic, as if it were going out of style. My dad played German songs at the piano and my sisters and I were treated to such maudlin dirges as "Work For The Night Is Coming". In fairness, he was not an all-work-no-play guy at all.

It seemed way over the top growing up, but these days it seems like we could use a shot of that attitude.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticovogt View Post

It seemed way over the top growing up, but these days it seems like we could use a shot of that attitude.

No doubt. (but we're old)
Old 09-28-2011, 04:34 AM

Indeed we are. I've got to start driving west tomorrow at 6 A.M. and not feeling like any spring chicken. See you Thursday.