talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Shops and Storage

Shops and Storage Talk about your shops and how you organize them

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2017, 07:18 AM

Default Three Phase converters

Any one have experience with a 3 phase converter in their shop?? Look for brand experience good and bad.

Mark
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-29-2017, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Three Phase converters

I have a 7.5 hp rotary converter. I when this route 10 tens ago.
I pick the rotary over the static flavor because they said that the static wasn’t true three ph.
I needed it because I acquired a boice crane drill press and hated a large Jointer which I aquired a little later.
16” Yates Jointer. With 3 hp. Belt drive. It worked but the converter moaned a bit.
Later sold it and purchased a 8” Northfield.
The guy how bought the Yates was planing on driving it with a 5 hp converter. I told him it wasn’t going to work. He replied that it should that it was driving his 3 hp table saw. Well we will make the story short. He has a 10 hp converter now.
I believe I bought my converter from American rotary.
I did place it on a cart with its on 3 ph panel that lives under the drill press table to save space.
Good luck.
Rick.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-29-2017, 08:05 PM

Thanks American Rotary has quite a presence on the internet with many you tube videos of happy customers, just wondered if they are really happy in the long run. I will need to buy one big enough for about 12 hp.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:12 AM

Wow. That’s going to big a big one
The guy that bought my Jointer couldn’t figure out why the Jointer did start up after he hitch it to his five hp. I told him the the Jointer( 3 hp) had a good start up draw. He figured that it ran his three hp table saw just fine.
I had to remind him about start draws.
Rick.