talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Shops and Storage

Shops and Storage Talk about your shops and how you organize them

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2015, 06:48 PM
Founding Member

Default Container Shop

Last November I remarried. Since then Jeanette and I have been consolidating households, all the tougher because we’re selling the houses and will then buy one that will be ours from the beginning (highly recommended). But it could take most of this year to get them on the market and sold. I’m no longer living in the house with the shop, and we don’t want to disrupt the house where we are living trying to get the shop into it. What to do?

I’m trying a container. Last week I took delivery of a container rental (8’x8’x26’, metric 2.4x2.4x8m). It’s all steel and at a glance you’d think it was a shipping container, but it’s more lightly built & not intended for movement when full. Doors at both ends, which is critical to my intention of having a shop at one end and storage at the other.

At 3.75USD a day the container compares well with rent-a-space, but it’s more secure and just outside my back door. Delivery and later retrieval are 85USD each.

Since I don’t own it, I’ll be trying to avoid drilling and cutting of the steel box. If I did own it it’d have a rooftop ventilator in a heartbeat. It’ll get warm when it’s closed but I’m hoping that being open at both ends will suffice. I’m fortunate that I’m located in Southern California, which compared to the rest of the planet, completely lacks “weather”. In normal use, I'll open all the doors when in use. Might arrange an awning off the side.

Here’s a pic of the box before construction began. Despite appearances, I lucked out and the thing is level.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Container Shop

Good idea for a temporary shop, Ned.

Post photos after you get it set up.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Good call, Ned. I should have done something like that when we remodeled a few years ago.

And congratulations on your marriage! I had guessed, but didn't know for sure. Hope it's long and happy!
Old 02-16-2015, 08:04 AM

I also say good call on the container ( and the ventilation idea)

I also wish you a long and happy marriage. Took me two get it right.

As for weather, I'm sure Boston would be happy to unload some on to, um, give you some right now.

Regards,

Rob
Old 02-16-2015, 07:15 PM
Founding Member

I've put down 3 sheets of 3/4" (19mm) OSB tongue and groove as flooring. Cheap as I could find. Defines the 12 feet of the container that will be the shop. I hoped it would take care of the oil-can sound effect when you walked in the box (it did), but I didn't realize how much it would dampen other noise. It'll also be much kinder on dropped tools than the steel floor.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Good call Ned. When I first starting delving into the Festool world I had considered buying a larger trailer to try to set up shop. It sure beats not having one.

Blessings on your marriage. May it be long and happy.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-17-2015, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Wood is the best for a shop floor. I think the heavier shipping containers all have wood floors, but they usually only open on one end.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-21-2015, 06:03 AM

Congrats on the wedding. Hope your houses sell soon and you can get your shop set up soon. I am finally getting my basement set up, after about 7 years... And I've started brewing beer, which is a hoot. So now I have 2 sinks in my woodshop.
Tom
Old 03-10-2015, 11:03 PM
Founding Member

The Box, a bit more finished. Storage:

Shop area:

Picked up a $100 sheet metal workbench at Harbor Freight. I'm sure I've got three times that in it in labor--there are a lot of pieces bolted together.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:49 AM
Administrator

It's coming along very nicely, Ned.