talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Shops and Storage

Shops and Storage Talk about your shops and how you organize them

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2016, 09:46 PM

Default Re: 144 feet of funkin'

I could legitimately use two more big tools: a dust collector and a drum sander. Otherwise, yes, I really am in need for space for all the little things and a space where I can cobble something together without falling over other things.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-12-2016, 02:19 PM

It's a shame that I seem to be the only one posting in this section. I issue a challenge to post your shops.

As for mine, the new shop hasn't been started yet and I'm not sure when it will. Still sorting out sizes, and what it would entail. Plus the heat and money are an issue. Still trying to make the best of what I have though, and have been through a couple of layout revisions, one successful to this point, the other disastrous and quickly undone.

About two weeks ago I decided I needed more systainer storage and started looking at ways to accomplish that. I'm building a three column chaos wall to replace the two column I have now, making it double-depth, and shorter to serve as the miter saw right side table. To do that, I had to make some adjustments to the shop in general.

This is the right front corner now. The lathe sits against the door wall, sticking slightly out in front of one of them. Not a huge deal, the tailstock can slide out of the way of the table saw fence and isn't in the way at this point. The bandsaw can be used by moving the router table, and the drill press is accessed by moving the RT and table saw. Haven't used the lathe yet, but to this point it is a low-use tool. I cut my big wall cabinet in half and mounted on the front wall.

I have stored my toolbox under the lathe, as I don't usually have a need for the tools in it, but I'm hoping to change that. With the orientation changed, I discovered the width between the legs was a perfect fit. Except for those pesky hinges. A circular saw and a chisel did the job.

The back right corner is largely the same. I had my workbench clear right before I cut that cabinet in half, I swear.

The left side of the shop is where most of the changes are happening. Awhile back I added a shelf to serve as my miter saw stock support over the jointer, planer, sander, and air compressor. To fit the expanded chaos wall in, I had to shorten the shelf my 11 inches, and move the miter saw over the same amount. I also moved it higher at the same time, and need to find a height that works best for me and fits in with my plans. As a result, I haven't moved the shelf up yet. I put my planer back on my flip-top cart with nothing else, and with the miter saw raised it now fits under it. I'm amazed everything still fits.

The biggest concern I have is the ability to open a double-depth chaos wall drawer fully for the second systainer. To save money for now, the existing drawer slides will be used and I may utilize some shelves behind. The chaos wall there will be rotated 90 and stay in the same corner.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-13-2016, 01:37 AM

OK Here ya go! Sorry I have no idea how to make the photos show up right side up. The are correct when taken and uploaded but get rotated when I push insert...

144-feet-funkin-shopfront.jpg

144-feet-funkin-img_2601.jpg

144-feet-funkin-img_2602.jpg

144-feet-funkin-img_2603.jpg

144-feet-funkin-img_2604.jpg

144-feet-funkin-img_2606.jpg

144-feet-funkin-img_2607.jpg
Old 09-28-2017, 02:33 AM

Funny looking at this time warp of a thread. A year later I have two 144 workshops.