talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Shops and Storage

Shops and Storage Talk about your shops and how you organize them

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 10:45 PM

Default New Digs

Don't know if this even merits a reply, it's just an update on my world.
I bought into a co-op with guys I know. It's 10 miles from my house (not bad), and gets me more out of the running around town with a trailer gig and more into controlled environment work.
Their bread and butter is largely casework, but that's really a byproduct of what people need vs what anybody wants to do. There's no shortage of talent in the place. I've known them for years, and have seen all kinds of furniture, doors, and miscellania go through there.
Everyone has their own "personal" work area. Mine is about 21 ft x 14, that's enough for some storage cabinetry and benches.
Everything else in the room is the large tools. Community usage.
Multiple saws, shapers, etc. Wide belt, of course. There's an enormous hydraulic press that, when I see it, I think about doing bench tops. You could do a laminated top in a single press with that, and having seen the thing get used, I'm not convinced your edges would need to be all that flat. It's impressive.
I've spent the last week organizing my spot in the world, and moving some of the things I have out there. The lathe lives there now, and I suspect the bandsaw is not far behind. It's one thing they don't have - a mid range bandsaw. There's a small one that does great scroll work, and a Hitachi resaw. Mostly, I don't want to chew logs up for turning in the resaw. Bad form.
Some of the fun is using new and interesting things- like boring machines for shelf pins. To be able to do that accurately and repeatably in 2 seconds. Nice.
Some of that is also spooky. The main tablesaw has a 12' slider off to the side, a 14" blade, and a 12hp motor. Frankly, right now, without being well versed in sliders, that thing still scares me. Which is a good way to continue having 10 fingers.
There's a 4 head moulder set up just to make S4S. it's impressive. You just feed rough cuts in one side, and you get perfect square and smooth out the other. For production, that thing just saves tons and tons of time.
It's been something of an exercise in ego adjustment to try to transfer everything I know to this environment. Not all of it makes the cross over intact. Old dog, meet new tricks.
That said, one of the best facets so far is the diversity in what people know, are good at, like to do. It all finds its place eventually.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: New Digs

Sounds like a great place to practice your craft, Randy, especially with a host of capital machinery in place!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-09-2013, 04:56 PM

WOW, 12 FOOT slider ,with 14" Blade and 12hp Motor.
You COULD lose a finger or two with a saw like that...
You'll figure it all out. Just stay safe with all that new equipment, we don't want to lose any 'part' of you.
Take pictures so Joraft has something to shoot for with setting up his shop.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

This sounds really cool, Randy. Will you get back to building some furniture, or are you sticking to turning for a while?

Any nice people there to yak with?
Old 09-09-2013, 10:15 PM

The lathe moved, so whatever turning I do will be there. Furniture is the wish. Boxes is probably going to be a large part of reality.
Nice people, absolutely. The couple I didn't know well, I already like. The couple I did know well, I liked ahead of time.
That's saying something for a picky SOB like me.
New perspectives every day. None of them intentional.
"try not to take more than a quarter at a pass" on the planer, for instance.
Uh, not an issue.
Can't wait for the weather to turn. This constant stream of 100 deg days is getting on me. 60 and rain sounds SOOOOOOOOOOO good right now.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:03 AM

I'm with you on the heat! I've just about had enough of changing my tshirt three times each day!
The new digs sounds perfect! Your possibilities have just opened up by the sounds of it and I know what it's like to work alone everyday, sometimes it's great to have people around, not only for the banter but to mix ideas up and to learn new ways of working.
Some photos of your new work area would be cool
Old 09-10-2013, 04:58 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Congrats! I strongly suspect that you'll love the company. Down south I was in an industrial area and it was pretty cool to have people with skills around. The cabinet maker next door and I became buddies, there were others including some great woodworkers, a few machinists, upholstery. All in all, nice to have people around to banter with and lean on in times of need.

I'll miss that in my new shop, but I'm hoping to make it comfy enough that people might want to drop by. We'll see...........

Congrats again.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:31 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Will you be sharing jobs with the other guys? Or, are you sharing shop space and you still have to bring in your own jobs? I'm guessing the later but it's still sounds good.