talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Shops and Storage

Shops and Storage Talk about your shops and how you organize them

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 02:53 AM

Default Should be moving shop soon

Well, my wife and I have been looking to move for a few years now.. My wife has found a house she wants, close to one of our favourite coastal areas. The house is situated high up on a small mountain with views of the coast and a small cedar forest in between. The house is about 30years old, and needs a lot of work, hence the pretty cheap price. Lots of work for me I'm guessing
There is no workshop space for me, so I've had to go searching for woodshop space in the area. Within our budget, I've found a space which was once a poultry shed, that's been minimally cleaned up. Since then it has been used for various storage uses. The owner (a real estate agents) agreed I could use the space for woodworking. It's nearly four times bigger than my current woodshop, and cheaper rent.
Kanako has her heart set on the house, so I will have to take the shed for my workspace for now, and see how it goes. Where I am now, was only supposed to be a two year stay, but we got stuck here for seven years!..so this shed could end up being more longer term
Pictures to come much later.. There's still a lot to do from now until then.
Cheers!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Should be moving shop soon

Okamisan, the location sounds gorgeous! I can hardly wait to come and visit. Hopefully your shed will have 3-phase. And a solid roof. I'm really looking forward to seeing some pictures of the house and views.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity (and a fair amount of work - moving). Congratulations!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:41 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

A LOT of work!

I remember those stories of moving machines into your shop...

But, to quadruple your shop size, gain a house with a view, and, make your wife happy, it'll certainly be worth it.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:42 AM

Yes, lots of work ahead!.. One thing I can say I've never been shy about, and that's hard work I'll suck it up and get on with it
The roof and walls look sound. It does all need insulating though, if I'm going to stay there for any length of time. The inside is bare stud work.
I've been in touch with my electrician about the three phase. He has to apply for a certificate to install it there, which takes time..but he's got a few contacts and can pull a few strings (it's not what you know eh). He'll be starting on the three phase next week
He also has a unic, and mentioned he'd take a few machines for me..he's a good man and always helps me out John, want his phone number?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post

... John, want his phone number?
The truly embarrassing thing is that I already have 3 phase in my shop. All I have to do is put the machines in place and hook them up.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
The truly embarrassing thing is that I already have 3 phase in my shop. All I have to do is put the machines in place and hook them up.

Hey! When did this happen? And why didn't you tell us?!? This is a big move forward!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

Hey! When did this happen? And why didn't you tell us?!?
The 3 phase has always been there, I think I have mentioned that many times. In Los Angeles, if a building isn't built with 3 phase installed, retrofitting it in is usually cost prohibitive. And, it's only available in industrial areas.

Okami, is your new shop located in an industrial area? And how far is it from your new house?

Old 10-12-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
The 3 phase has always been there, I think I have mentioned that many times. In Los Angeles, if a building isn't built with 3 phase installed, retrofitting it in is usually cost prohibitive. And, it's only available in industrial areas.

Okami, is your new shop located in an industrial area? And how far is it from your new house?

Not industrial area, John. It's a farming area. There are 20 of these sheds on a plot of land, all being used for business purposes..some storage of farming equiptment, there's a sign maker there, a few of them are storage for stock of Internet businesses. There's also a guy that has several sheds for growing shitake mushrooms
It's located a 10-15 minute drive from the new house.
The electric company will put all the overhead cables in ( up to the building) for free. I think the meter Is also free (but there is a monthly, basic connection fee, that covers the meter I guess). Everything that runs into the building is up to me to get it done. With three phase I have to register the machines with the electric company and then they provide the KW's needed. The trick is, we'll only register two 5hp machines (I have five three phase machines). Registering 5 is too costly for my small business, and I don't need all that power with just me working there. My electrician sorts all that stuff out for me
Old 10-12-2012, 02:52 PM

Well, here it is..
That's the best I can get in this particular area, within my budget.
There are some better looking places, but a quarter of the size and more expensive. This will do just fine for me
It's almost six metres wide by twenty five metres long.
Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
should-moving-shop-soon-img_0403-1-.jpg   should-moving-shop-soon-img_0406-1-.jpg   should-moving-shop-soon-img_0405-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Okami; 10-12-2012 at 02:54 PM.