talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Shops and Storage

Shops and Storage Talk about your shops and how you organize them

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2012, 05:38 PM
TahoeTwoBears's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA - Minden, NV
Posts: 1,460
Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Shop Thought Processes Help Needed

In February 2008, my life took a new turn. I received a call regarding my parents that caused me to drop everything and rush to Southern California to help care for them. Itís a long sad story but I lost both of them in 2009 along with my aunt and my cousin. Iím the last of that line of the family. In my 32 years of being a firefighter, Iíd been exposed to a good deal of death and dying, but nothing had prepared me for the loss of my parents. It has had an impact on me that I wasnít prepared for. It has driven what are probably some poor choices.

My ďnormalĒ life was /is in South Lake Tahoe. My wife and I have lived there for 37 years in a very small (1100 sq. ft) home that we customized along the way to accommodate our lives pretty comfortably. When we moved down south, we were faced with living in an urban area with a Whole Lot of other people. Whoa! But along with that came opportunities that I hadnít had before. One of the impacts of living down here has to do with my truck. It doesnít fit in our garage and the HOA doesnít allow us to park it in the driveway or in guest parking. Once informed of that, I went looking for a place to store it. I found a spot which is an easy commute from here in a commercial space. It takes my truck and also affords me some shop space. Itís an 800 square foot space with a small spot devoted to a little office.

I have always been interested in woodworking, but never really attempted any fine work in the past. Most of my experience was the typical homeownerís stuff and helping frame / finish a few homes for friends. When I first got down here, Ned Young pointed out that I might want to check out Palomar Collegeís woodworking program. I enrolled in a few classes, but didnít finish them due to losing my mother at the end of one semester and then my father at the end of the next. But the class experience was enough to convince me that Iíd like to pursue this craft more. I had already stepped down the Festool path while replacing tools around the house. With a lot of reading and spending time here, I purchased a few other tools. Iíve been in that shop space for over two years now and itís nothing more than a collection of stuff. No organization. Nada, zip. I either havenít been around enough, or spent enough time to make it happen.

I probably have too many tools. With the opportunity to actually visit woodworking stores easily, I was like a kid in a candy store for a bit. The tool porn on this site has helped as well. Iíve always thought that I should try to remain somewhat mobile so that I can move on to some ďultimateĒ situation. I donít know if that will ever happen, but Iím trying to keep stuff to a minimum (yeah, right) so that I can pack up and move on. If I move back home (thereís a lot of discussion about where to live on a daily basis), then space is very limited (half of a small one car garage) and a garden shed (no heat) for storage.

Thatís where Iím hoping you might all chime in. Iím challenging myself to get my space up and running before this semesterís classes start (Jan 18th). I need to make some decisions regarding how and where to store stuff, and what to rid myself of. Iíll post some pics and I just know Iíll get some great advice. Iíll try to bring up issues as I bump into them, but Iíll leave them in the same thread if thatís okay.

Thanks for all of your help in advance.

Mike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2012, 05:39 PM
TahoeTwoBears's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA - Minden, NV
Posts: 1,460
Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: Shop Thought Processes Help Needed


Bosch saw on the chopping block.

Tool chest in a temporary spot

Left side of shop

Right side of shop

Lathe on right side of truck space

Lumber storage on left side of truck space

JMP and Dadís recliner which I kept and enjoy from time to time

Sharpening station

Looking towards rear of shop

Better shot of stuff

Drill press and some clamp storage

Tight quarters, one of the biggest constraints, but also the reason Iím lucky enough to have space

Inca saw

Mortising table on Inca saw

Rusty Baldor motor (in need of cleaning)

First thing I think that needs to go. Iíve got a Kapex as well, and probably donít need two miter saws. This one has more capacity, but weighs a lot more. Iíve noticed Iím not getting youngerÖÖ.

Last edited by TahoeTwoBears; 01-02-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2012, 08:47 PM
TahoeTwoBears's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA - Minden, NV
Posts: 1,460
Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: Shop Thought Processes Help Needed

As you can tell from the photos, there's not a lot of light. I need to add more. It's a shame there's no natural light unless I open the garage door. I tend to keep it down for a variety of reasons, privacy being the chief one. My neighbor frequently sprays lacquer as well and it tends to drift right on in.

The first item I'm going to list on Craig's list is the Bosch miter saw.

The next item(s) under consideration are which (if any) table saw to keep. I've got the Inca in the pictures which needs a lot of TLC and a Bosch which doesn't show. I always thought the Inca was cool back when they were still for sale. Roger told me about this one and I snapped it up. It's wired for 220 so I haven't been able to plug it in yet (sound familar?), but if I keep it, it needs to be rewired and cleaned up considerably. Any thoughts??????????
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 443
Default Re: Shop Thought Processes Help Needed

Mike

Sorry to hear about the loss of your parents. I've lost my dad and my wife has lost her mom, and they are definitely missed. You often don't realize the impact they have on you till they are gone.

You have a lot of stuff in that space. But it looks like it has potential with some organization. Not clear how much power you have around the perimeter and whether you have flexibility with the placement of the tools.

Unless you really don't see using it, I'd keep the Inca saw, personally. It's small but gives you a lot of flexibility particularly with the mortise table. It depends on what you see yourself building. I have that same saw and a pretty good collection of Festool and still use it. Take the motor off, sand and spray it and rewire and it will look great. Some light oil and steel wool would clean up the rust spots.

I use mine on 110 and have for 25 years and it's a really nice saw and not too overpowering in terms of space. I assume you have the missing plate and an 8" blade for it? You might want to subscribe to the Inca group on Yahoo groups if you have not yet.

In terms of organization, I'd probably start with a floor layout on graph paper or on your computer using Sketchup. Place the sharpening station and Festool Systainer ports first along with the sharpening station and the toolbox as well as what looks like a workbench. I did not see an MFT but perhaps there is one of those in there too! I'd probably put the JMP in a corner. It looks like you have a bandsaw, so I'd try to position it to the right of the wood rack to allow passage of long cuts in front of it. Alternatively, that could be where your table saw could go.

You're either going to have to leave the door open, or add a lot more fluorescent lights. Given the weather, I'd seriously consider just leaving the door open when you are working.

I'd also look at all the other stuff you have and make a decision on craigs list for things like the microwave, the easy chair, or other items that may not be necessary if you want to have a functional workshop.

Looks like you might have some space around the two sides at the top of the room to continue a line of wider shelving to place the plastic tubs up high and out of the way. A 2x4 frame suspended from the ceiling rafters with 1/2 or 3/4 ply with brackets hanging down from the ceiling joists might give you some much needed out-of-the-way storage. That might open up those cabinets at the back of the room for hand tool or hardware storage, for example.

I'm not clear what you are using the dust collector for. I see the bandsaw and you have the table saw which can be adapted to work with a 4" line. But do you have a joiner and planer as well?

It appears you have some room between the wood rack and the door - that might be a reasonable place to put the table saw, since it is on rollers and you could roll against the wall there, but pull it out when you wanted to do rip cuts and give you access to more space with the door open.

Good luck - you might want to share a layout and dimensions as a next step to better understand the space and tools you are thinking of keeping.

neil
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2012, 12:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 971
Default Re: Shop Thought Processes Help Needed

Mike,

Two immediate thoughts,
First,
Keep the inca. U could always rewire it to 110 if u plan on camping out in that space for a while. (on that note, just how long do u see yourself there - sorry if I missed that earlier)
Second,
Regarding the light issue, I would think that outside of the lacquer fumes - security of having passer-bys seeing your tool stash would also be an issue. What I'm seeing is a simple frame on wheels (not unlike a clothing rack roller stand) I would make it the width of your door opening and about 6 feet tall. It could be covered with streached canvas or that corrugated translucent plastic stuff. *If the fumes are a constant issue then u could bring it to the height of your door. I see some blow up baffles attached to where it snuggles up to the doorframe for lacquer season.*

Btw.
Happy new year.

Last edited by RogerSavatteri; 01-03-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2012, 02:42 AM
Wonderwino's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Posts: 2,895
Default Re: Shop Thought Processes Help Needed

I have a Bosch 5412L on the T3B stand and I can't wait to trade up to a Kapex and UG-Kapex setup. I don't have to haul it to job sites often, but it weighs over 100# and my back just can't take it anymore. That, and I notice a little blade runout as it spools down.
__________________
Water separates the people of the world; wine unites them.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2012, 12:11 PM
TahoeTwoBears's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA - Minden, NV
Posts: 1,460
Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: Shop Thought Processes Help Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilc View Post
Mike

Sorry to hear about the loss of your parents. I've lost my dad and my wife has lost her mom, and they are definitely missed. You often don't realize the impact they have on you till they are gone.

You have a lot of stuff in that space. But it looks like it has potential with some organization. Not clear how much power you have around the perimeter and whether you have flexibility with the placement of the tools.

Unless you really don't see using it, I'd keep the Inca saw, personally. It's small but gives you a lot of flexibility particularly with the mortise table. It depends on what you see yourself building. I have that same saw and a pretty good collection of Festool and still use it. Take the motor off, sand and spray it and rewire and it will look great. Some light oil and steel wool would clean up the rust spots.

I use mine on 110 and have for 25 years and it's a really nice saw and not too overpowering in terms of space. I assume you have the missing plate and an 8" blade for it? You might want to subscribe to the Inca group on Yahoo groups if you have not yet.

In terms of organization, I'd probably start with a floor layout on graph paper or on your computer using Sketchup. Place the sharpening station and Festool Systainer ports first along with the sharpening station and the toolbox as well as what looks like a workbench. I did not see an MFT but perhaps there is one of those in there too! I'd probably put the JMP in a corner. It looks like you have a bandsaw, so I'd try to position it to the right of the wood rack to allow passage of long cuts in front of it. Alternatively, that could be where your table saw could go.

You're either going to have to leave the door open, or add a lot more fluorescent lights. Given the weather, I'd seriously consider just leaving the door open when you are working.

I'd also look at all the other stuff you have and make a decision on craigs list for things like the microwave, the easy chair, or other items that may not be necessary if you want to have a functional workshop.

Looks like you might have some space around the two sides at the top of the room to continue a line of wider shelving to place the plastic tubs up high and out of the way. A 2x4 frame suspended from the ceiling rafters with 1/2 or 3/4 ply with brackets hanging down from the ceiling joists might give you some much needed out-of-the-way storage. That might open up those cabinets at the back of the room for hand tool or hardware storage, for example.

I'm not clear what you are using the dust collector for. I see the bandsaw and you have the table saw which can be adapted to work with a 4" line. But do you have a joiner and planer as well?

It appears you have some room between the wood rack and the door - that might be a reasonable place to put the table saw, since it is on rollers and you could roll against the wall there, but pull it out when you wanted to do rip cuts and give you access to more space with the door open.

Good luck - you might want to share a layout and dimensions as a next step to better understand the space and tools you are thinking of keeping.

neil
Hi Neil,

Everything's on wheels with the exception of the drill press. I've got more machines that didn't show in the pictures. There's a 6" Delta jointer, a DeWalt lunchbox planer, and a Bench Dog cast iron router table. I've also got a Rigid spindle sander. There is a workbench that's going to have to do for now. I picked up a 7' top for it the other day and another Jorgensen quick release vise for the end. I have't installed it yet, but it's going to go under the plywood panel against the wall. Not ideal, but it's not on wheels and it's not as stable as I'd like. There are two MFT/3's that are buried under all of that as well as a MFT/Kapex. I've been wheeling everything to the truck parking spot for use. It's not as nice as a stationary setup, but it's workable. Currently, I don't have a good sheet good storage solution, but in truth, I don't enjoy having it around anyway. I'm trying to use it all up and that will solve the storage issue. While I'm down here (out of the boondocks), it's easier to let the lumber yards store the stuff. At Tahoe, well, that's a different issue.

The cabinets at the end are storing household stuff (Christmas decorations, etc.) on the top. On the inside, are steel shelving units that I bought at Costco. There's some small sembalance of organization on one end, but the hand tools and extra bits are willy nilly on the other. Stuff should be coming out of there and hittling the plywood paneling. Some stuff does't lend itself to easy organization. The Festool parallel guides are one example. The MFS templates and all of their little bits are another.

I've got another few questions re: the Inca, but I'll ask those in a separate post.

Thanks,

Mike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2012, 12:20 PM
TahoeTwoBears's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA - Minden, NV
Posts: 1,460
Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: Shop Thought Processes Help Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSavatteri View Post
Mike,

Two immediate thoughts,
First,
Keep the inca. U could always rewire it to 110 if u plan on camping out in that space for a while. (on that note, just how long do u see yourself there - sorry if I missed that earlier)
Second,
Regarding the light issue, I would think that outside of the lacquer fumes - security of having passer-bys seeing your tool stash would also be an issue. What I'm seeing is a simple frame on wheels (not unlike a clothing rack roller stand) I would make it the width of your door opening and about 6 feet tall. It could be covered with streached canvas or that corrugated translucent plastic stuff. *If the fumes are a constant issue then u could bring it to the height of your door. I see some blow up baffles attached to where it snuggles up to the doorframe for lacquer season.*

Btw.
Happy new year.
Hi Roger,

You're right about the security issue. The doors stay down mostly because of that. There are a ton of folks that come and go all day long. The spot next to me has been taken over by a landscape maintenance company. They seem to have new workers all of the time. There are a few car folks around as well and they attract a steady stream of clients that drive by. There haven't been a lot of theft to my knowledge, but as you know, I'm not always around. BTW, it looks like I'll be here for at least 4 - 5 months, and after that........... maybe forever, maybe not. That's a big unknown that's causing a fair amount of stress around here, but then we've been wrestling with that question for a couple of years now, so it's not anything new.

Happy New Year to you as well,

Mike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2012, 12:24 PM
TahoeTwoBears's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA - Minden, NV
Posts: 1,460
Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: Shop Thought Processes Help Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
I have a Bosch 5412L on the T3B stand and I can't wait to trade up to a Kapex and UG-Kapex setup. I don't have to haul it to job sites often, but it weighs over 100# and my back just can't take it anymore. That, and I notice a little blade runout as it spools down.
Hi Alex,

I don't have the UG setup. I bought one of the Kapex MFT's. I probably ought to look at the UG. It would provide more mobility than I currently have. Ideally, the Kapex would be set up with long guides permanently, but that's in some future dream.

You're right about the weight of the Bosch. I had a Makita before it, and when I traded it for the Bosch I was a happy camper. A few years later and now I find it an awkward chore to lift that whole kit in and out of my truck. I'll miss the capacity, but I won't miss the wrestling match.

Mike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-03-2012, 01:00 PM
TahoeTwoBears's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South Lake Tahoe, CA - Minden, NV
Posts: 1,460
Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: Shop Thought Processes Help Needed

So consensus seems to be to sell the Bosch table saw and keep the Inca. I have a few questions about the Inca. Do you find the slot mortising table to be really useful? It does take up some space. Especially given the Domino? If it is, then Iíll need to find some appropriate bits. Iíve got a lot of accessories for it, but thereís a fair amount of rust cleanup Iíll need to do. Kit Camp and I started to dismantle it, in order to clean it up and we ran into a few issues. I didnít have a gear puller (I brought one back down) at the time, and we were unsuccessful in removing the table. We also couldnít make out the wiring diagram well enough to rewire it for 110.
The simple (but $$$) solution will be to haul it up to Eagle Tools and let Jesse have at it.
Without a tilting blade itís not as handy as the Bosch, but itís also smaller. Spending the extra $$ on the BCTW sled might take the sting out of the blade not tilting.
And then thereís supposed to be this coming this summer:

While Iím not happy about SawStopís patent situation (I think theyíve overreached to the point that they are stifling innovation), it should be a nice saw with hopefully good d/c. If that turns out to be the case, then it might well be the perfect little saw weíve all been waiting for.
I suppose for now, I should keep the Bosch long enough to send the Inca to Jesse for care. Once I get it back and it runs, the decision should sort itself out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:39 AM.