talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Shops and Storage

Shops and Storage Talk about your shops and how you organize them

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 03:11 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: Shop Thought Processes Help Needed

Hi Ned,

That is a thought. This morning I'm thinking more and more about removing the gas "woodstove" that I was going to use. I already own it, it puts out 30k btu and I like both the look and the ability to cuddle up to it when I'm really cold. But now I'm questioning giving up that much floor space. The direct vent Reznor I just put in my garage seems to get the job done with not to much muss and fuss. OTOH the gas stove works when the power is off and that's a plus if we happen to be gone. It does get cold here. In fact it caught us by surprise, it's actually colder here that at the lake. They (we now) get this inversion here in the valley which traps cold and smoke (smog?) hence the dim view of wood burning stoves in the area.

I just read through the Wood Whisperers decision process for his new shop floor. Given what this thing is costing, I'm starting to think that the concrete floor might be fine with a lot of mats where I work. In my old space I used to have to move the truck out, then drag the machines over to their work locations. I never seemed to move the mats and at the end of the day felt like I couldn't move. Perhaps with the machines mostly stationary and the mats in place it'll be fine. I can at least try it and see how it works out. I can always put down the sleeper/plywood option later (probably never) once the stuff is moved in.

This decision is driving me nuts the most. Flooring isn't cheap, but makes a huge difference.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Founding Member

When you're sizing the radiant heating in the concrete, consider those anti-fatigue mats. They're pretty good insulators.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

One of our members, who hasn't been here for a while, setup his shop in an old quonset with a bumpy concrete floor. He screeded a 2" layer of sand, covered by T&G plywood. He ended up with a flat and tool-friendly floor. If you did something like that, I don't see why you couldn't put coils in the sand.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-13-2014, 03:59 AM

If you use the sand method, maybe go with heat tubes in the concrete. the sand will act as more mass. (maybe )
Old 02-13-2014, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

No matter what you do, it is recommended to place rigid foam insulation and a vapor barrier under any heated floor. I would put all that under the concrete, even if you don't plan on doing a sand/coil/wood floor until later.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 02-28-2014, 07:44 PM

Default Finally, off to the races

Off to the races after all this time.
2/26/14

Cleaned out, leveled, ready for foam, plastic, and gravel base material.
Attached Thumbnails
shop-thought-processes-help-needed-2-26-14-photo-1.jpg   shop-thought-processes-help-needed-2-26-14-photo-6.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014, 07:47 PM

2/27/14

More progress. Foam installed, digging and prepping for piers. Dug up for plumber to rough in. He'll be here tomorrow. We're flying now!
Attached Thumbnails
shop-thought-processes-help-needed-2-27-14-photo-2.jpg   shop-thought-processes-help-needed-2-27-14-photo-3.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014, 07:48 PM

Default Flying to a crawl!

2/28/14
Attached Thumbnails
shop-thought-processes-help-needed-2-28-14-photo-1.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014, 10:08 PM

Wow, after looking at the first 4 pictures, the last thing I expected to see was all that white wet stuff!
Old 03-01-2014, 01:56 AM

HA HA good thing you put down that foam! Nice to see the progress, but the Envy.....