talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Sharpening

Sharpening Discuss sharpening methods, materials, and equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 03:11 AM

Default Where's my finishing stone??

Some arsehole took my Sigma finishing stone from a water tray outside my shop!
Foolish to leave it outside I know, but if you saw the location of my shop you'd be surprised it was taken.
Anyway, I've been using my old G1 King Stone again (they didn't take that) and it's still an impressive stone! It leaves a nice edge on Vertas A2 and cuts pretty quickly. I think I'll use this for a while longer before I replace the Sigma

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-31-2014, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Where's my finishing stone??

Okamisan, those are some of the shortest chisels I've ever seen! That's a LOT of sharpening! Do the even have any of the cutting steel left?

I'm really sorry that someone would steal your stone. First, I'm shocked that there's actual theft in Japan, and second, what kind of thief would steal a SHARPENING STONE?!? Sheesh!
Old 03-31-2014, 04:27 AM

they're old chisels and have seen plenty of work, but I love them. They don't make them like these any more.
Whoever took that stone either got lucky or knew what they were taking, as there were several stones in that tray and they took the most expensive. Just took that one stone only

It's a bit of a tourists myth about no crime in Japan. Stay here a while and you'll see plenty. Plenty of discrimination also.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-31-2014, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Could it have been a wild monkey that just liked the pretty stone?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 03-31-2014, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

And while we're on the subject of sharpening - how do you sharpen those chisels, Okamisan? Surely they're too short to fit in most guides. Do you do them free-hand?
Old 04-01-2014, 12:29 AM

I've seen wild monkey's grab food but never anything else
I do have a wild ferret living in the shop. Its been in and out since the start of winter. It's getting in through a gap where the sides meet the roof. I could have blocked it off, but I quite like seeing the ferret around, with it's big fluffy tail

Yes, those chisels are way too short for any kind of sharpening jig. They get done by hand. Japanese chisels are easy by hand, no secondary bevel needed.