talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Sharpening

Sharpening Discuss sharpening methods, materials, and equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 02:18 PM

Default New to Sharpening?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o7s1v52nsl...0Handtools.pdf

If anyone is new to sharpening handtools and looking for an overview of the process, I've uploaded some information in the attached link to a 2-hour class I teach. It's meant to compliment what is being taught in the class and give students something to refer back to, as a result there isn't a lot of information around technique, etc. (because that would be demonstrated live in the class).

In any event, I hope some will find it helpful.

-Aaron
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-01-2013, 03:41 PM

Default Re: New to Sharpening?

Thanks for posting this Aaron!
I don't use oil stones, and was interested to hear you mention they shouldn't be used with "modern steels" such as A2.
I'd be interested to learn more about the reasoning behind this, Aaron
Cheers!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-02-2013, 07:37 AM

I would like to know about the A2 also.

Mark
Old 08-02-2013, 12:56 PM

Many oil stones (especially older ones picked up at a flea market or from your grandfather) are not hard enough to abrade A2 (which is harder than O1 (also commonly used today) or W1 (common among vintage tools)), so a sharp edge cannot be obtained.

Chris Schwarz has reported some high-end oil stones (such as Dan's whetstones listed in the resources section of the sharpening guide I posted) can sharpen A2, but in general I do not assume oil stones can sharpen A2. If you're using older oil stones and looking to buy some new tools, opt for O1, try someone else's A2 on your stone to see if you have any luck sharpening it, or switch to water stones. Since O1 is an excellent choice for tool steels (many feel it sharpens keener than A2, but doesn't hold up as long) it's probably simplest to stick with the oil stones you own and are comfortable with and just purchase O1 for new tools.

If you're interested in learning more, The Perfect Edge by Ron Hock is an excellent book. The chapters on "what is steel?" and "abrasives" were especially interesting to me.

-Aaron

Tags
hand tools, handtools, sharpening, walke moore tools