talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Sharpening

Sharpening Discuss sharpening methods, materials, and equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 09:30 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default A sharpening puzzler

I normally polish the backs of tools until they're mirror like. Today I started to polish up some new plane blades. I'm using Shaptons and start on new blades with 500 then on to 1000/4000/8000/16000. I flatten the backs with the 500 and then it doesn't usually take long with the other stones. Today, I get a shine (but with visible scratching) with the 500 and then when I move up, the metal is turning gray. You can tell it's polishing, and the scratches are disappearing, but the gray cast bothers me. Any ideas??????????

Oh, New Lie-Nielsen blades.

Last edited by TahoeTwoBears; 01-24-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-02-2012, 12:39 AM

Default Re: A sharpening puzzler

Maybe you wore through the tool steel plating and got down to the pewter casting underneath
heh heh
( = no clue )
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-02-2012, 12:46 AM

No idea why that's happened...
Have you tried them out?
One thing to remember about blade back is, they don't need to be shiny. Flat and smooth where the two edges meet is the key to a sharp blade.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:38 AM

Nope, they're defintely flat and sharp. I just don't understand the gray haze when I used to get them to a mirror like shine. Another person suggested that I was progressing through the grits too quickly and not clearing off the previous "haze". I'll give it another go, even though they work just fine now.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:48 PM

Are you using the stones dry or wet. If wet, how much water? Anything added to the water?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 09-05-2012, 06:45 AM

It sounds like a cross-contamination haze (e.g. going from a water wet diamond plate to oil based diamond paste), but you're using Shaptons all the way, so no further ideas sorry. Also, even when I get that, it usually goes by the time I reach 14,000 paste.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:01 PM

Problem solved. It seems that when I wash the stones off at the end and then only swipe the blade in one direction, the clarity improves. It would appear that going back over the swarf, no matter how fine, "contaminates" the finish. Doesn't seem to impact anything one way or the other, just bothered me.