talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Sharpening

Sharpening Discuss sharpening methods, materials, and equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 01:36 AM

Default DMT sharpening system reviews?

Been thinking that I need a sharpening device since, well, I don't have one. Aside from the idea of dragging chisels and plane irons through the kitchen knife sharpener. Kidding, really.

Anyone know about this one that Woodpeckers sells? The DMT system. I can't find much available online from anyone that's used it, and the search function here doesn't like 3 letter words. It claims a dual bevel (25 and 30 deg) and has plates from 120 grit to 1200 (and then one more at 8000)

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-19-2011, 04:54 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel
Default Re: DMT sharpening system reviews?

I've had one on order for 10-14 days now. Usually as soon as I assume I've been completely forgotten by Woodpeckers, I finally get the 'mailroom' email saying it shipped. Then add many more days. Nice stuff, but a policy of shipping once every 2 weeks is ridiculous IMHO. Maybe it's not the policy, but from this side it sure looks like it.

Anyway, I expect the 'mailroom' mail soon so add 7 days to that. I'll let you know what I think a little after that; maybe with video.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:32 PM

Thanks. I think I'm going to order one through Amazon and see what happens. Anything has to be better than the nothing I've got now!

But I will look forward to your video, doubtless with a bit in there as to how you've managed to use it for a manicure AND open the Labatt bottles!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-20-2011, 05:16 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I've had the set since they started selling them. It works "as advertised" & will restore a working cutting edge quite quickly. I only use it for chisels, on plane irons I like to use water stones or the scary sharp method to add micro-bevels & camber the iron corners. I wouldn't hesitate to use the set for irons also if I were just starting to use hand tools. The other handy purpose would be for contractors to carry to job sites where you might not want to mess with water stones.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:15 AM

I have the DMT system discussed, for me it is just OK, seems difficult to hold the blades in place and achieve uniformity. I admit to shy away from a multi-hour course on sharpening, but would like to have good results.

The Tormek and Veritas power sharpening systems look interesting - they have been discussed here at various times - does anyone have a strong opinion in favor of one or the other? There is an old FWW article that favored the Veritas system that I saw, but they both have changed since that time.

Thanks - Looking forward to some strong opinions and great advice, as always.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:57 AM

I've never used a tormek or the Veritas sharpening system. I don't often hear complaints aimed at the tormek, it's a well built system with lots of additional options. You can re-sharpen just about anything on a tormek.
I have an old Makita horizontal water stone sharpener, but don't use it much..last time I saw it, it was all beat up in the corner of my shop
I pretty much exclusively use the sharpening stone set from, Stu at tools from Japan. That's been the best sharpening set ive used. I also have a couple of flattening plates from him.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:07 PM

I've had a Tormek for years and really like it.

I use it mostly for chisels and plane irons. I have not tried planer blades or turning tools as I don't have the adapters for them.

I tend to use the Tormek for getting things sharp and then use water stones with a Bridge City guide for touch-ups and micro bevel. I can go from dull to sharp on a set of chisels in no time with the Tormek.

neil
Old 10-02-2013, 04:13 PM

Thanks for your input Neil - I haven't heard bad things about the Tormek from anyone that has used it, seems to be a great machine. I wonder if the Veritas system is a good one for me - seems smaller, easier to use, and easier on the wallet. I haven't seen many user comments about the Veritas.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:50 PM

I have the Worksharp 3000 and am pleased with it for sharpening chisels. It's also a fraction of the cost of a Tormek. The knife sharpener is also excellent.

Work Sharp Tools
Old 10-03-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKirkpatrick View Post
I have the Worksharp 3000 and am pleased with it for sharpening chisels. It's also a fraction of the cost of a Tormek. The knife sharpener is also excellent.

Work Sharp Tools

+1 for the worksharp, best system I've found for sharpening tools.