talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Sharp Tools USA

Sharp Tools USA Sales Service and Support for Tormek Water Cooled Sharpening Systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 07:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Anyone own the rotating base?

Great purchase or just $50?

While I LOVE my Tormek, I'm on the fence on this one.

Thanks,

Mike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Anyone own the rotating base?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post

Great purchase or just $50?

While I LOVE my Tormek, I'm on the fence on this one.
I've had my eye on that too, Mike.

My concern is about how rigid it is. I'd like to see one in person. If it's made well it's probably worth the money.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:20 AM

Stopped in at Rockler today and they had one. Seemed okay, but today it just didn't "feel" like a must have. Maybe it's the heat or something...........
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-30-2012, 05:56 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
Stopped in at Rockler today and they had one. Seemed okay, but today it just didn't "feel" like a must have. Maybe it's the heat or something...........
Hey Mike or John,

Would one of you post a picture or two of the base? Danke dudes.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 08-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Old 08-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Founding Member

John,

Thank you very muchio. If I owned a Tormek, I would definitely pick up one of those bases. Mike, other than the heat and the fact that you were at Rockler made you decide against it?

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 08-31-2012, 01:39 AM

It's not so heavy that I can't just turn the Tormek on the bench. I'm not sure I wanted to add comlexity and another layer of instability.

If I had enough skills, I probably wouldn't own as much as I do. Don't get me wrong, it's fun (even exciting) to buy new tools, but it's the age old thing of too much stuff owning me. I have to store it, maintain it, and haul it around. Too bad I'm old enough that I'll probably never attain Nirvana with a super skill set and a minimal (but healthy) set of tools.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:22 AM

Mine is permanently set up facing me. I have got used to grinding plane blades from this direction. In fact it is preferred as I can flip up a blade and check the bevel without removing it from the jig. The honing wheel is permanently in the correct orientation.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 09-28-2014, 12:04 AM

Hi Derek,

Old thread, but I see you have the Tormek grinder jig as well; I just bought and set one up because I need to grind new angles on a handful of A2 blades and wanted to keep them at 90. It works very well, although I was a bit concerned because the Tormek manual only showed using three or four of their jigs on it, all of them for wood turning tools. I had no problem using the plane and chisel jig and couldn't find anything were they say why you shouldn't use other jigs as well. Any idea why?

Rutager
Old 09-28-2014, 12:20 PM

Hi Rutager

I am not really following you. I only use the Tormek for plane and chisel blades, never turning chisels. I grind a primary bevel only, then hone on stones. For me this is a simple, uncomplicated affair on the blade holder. What beyond this are you wanting to do?

Regards from Perth

Derek