talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Sharp Tools USA

Sharp Tools USA Sales Service and Support for Tormek Water Cooled Sharpening Systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2014, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Anyone own the rotating base?

Dereck,

I was referencing the Tormek holder that is mounted on your bench grinder, not the Tormek machine itself; I thought it was odd that in the instructions that came with it, it only lists about three jigs, all of them for wood turning. I have been using it without problem to change the primary bevel on some A-2 plane blades, which would take forever on the 90 rpm wet wheel, but goes fairly quickly on my dry grinder. I then do finally honing on stones, not even using the actually Tormeck machine.

So I guess my real question is: have you heard of or can you see any issues with using the blade and chisel jig or other jigs on it?

Here's a link to the instructions, where they only list certain jigs

http://www.tormek.com/en/accessories...bgm-100_en.pdf

Best,
Rutager
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-28-2014, 05:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Wow,

Thanks for this new info. I just happened to look and see that Tormek changed the grinder kit to include a height adjustable base. Just ordered two to retro my old kits. I was never happy with the blocks I built up. Used a ply and couldn't dial in the exact height I wanted.

Mike
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-28-2014, 10:18 PM

Mike,

I'm not sure if the new kits include the adjustable base or not, the one I just got at Rockler didn't. It does appear to be a pretty cheap upgrade, although my homemade one worked after the third attempt- all my errors; first one in reading, second in arithmetic. I make my grade school teachers so proud.

So Mike, any input on why they only list it for a couple jigs?

Best,
Rutager
Old 09-28-2014, 11:17 PM

They state that using other jigs is ill advised because of the heat generated. I've used others. Be careful out there. 😄
Old 09-29-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post
Dereck,

I was referencing the Tormek holder that is mounted on your bench grinder, not the Tormek machine itself; I thought it was odd that in the instructions that came with it, it only lists about three jigs, all of them for wood turning. I have been using it without problem to change the primary bevel on some A-2 plane blades, which would take forever on the 90 rpm wet wheel, but goes fairly quickly on my dry grinder. I then do finally honing on stones, not even using the actually Tormeck machine.

So I guess my real question is: have you heard of or can you see any issues with using the blade and chisel jig or other jigs on it?

Here's a link to the instructions, where they only list certain jigs

http://www.tormek.com/en/accessories...bgm-100_en.pdf

Best,
Rutager
Hi Rutager

Ahha ..

I have this on my website, article written 5 years ago ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Woodwor...ngNirvana.html

That will give you an idea how I use mine.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 09-29-2014, 10:37 PM

Thanks Derek and Mike,

I've been using mine to change some of the Bridge City Tool Works A2 blades that are in their clearance section 5 for $50 mirror polish on back with a 25 degree primary to 20 degrees for low angle block planes. It worked great, I was just curious why they only recommend it for turning tools, apparently as Mike points out that heat is the issue for standard steels, of course wether or not you use their jigs, heat will be an issue on a dry grinder.

Best,
Rutager
Old 09-30-2014, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post

... mirror polish on back with a 25 degree primary to 20 degrees for low angle block planes.
Speaking of a mirror finish, has anyone tried the Tormek 4000 grit Japanese Waterstone?

Old 09-30-2014, 05:01 PM

Unless you have two Tormek machine's set up side-by-side, I cannot see the point in this for plane or woodwork chisel blades. I use a Tormek for grinding, not sharpening. Removing and replacing a wheel in place of using a waterstone does not make sense at all.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 09-30-2014, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post

... has anyone tried the Tormek 4000 grit Japanese Waterstone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekcohen View Post

... Removing and replacing a wheel in place of using a waterstone does not make sense at all.
I'll put you down as a "no".

Old 09-30-2014, 07:13 PM

John,

I bought the Blackstone Silicon wheel. Mixed results for me. Doesn't seem much faster than the stock wheel. At some point I might give the Japanese stone a try. It's waay down my wish list. If anything I'd use it for unusual shapes that area pain to deal with on my Shaptons.