talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Sharp Tools USA

Sharp Tools USA Sales Service and Support for Tormek Water Cooled Sharpening Systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Review / report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

Come on - if you didn't know that Sharp Tools and Tormek were the same, you could see the confusion, couldn't you?
We understand, Peter.

This link that Jeff has posted throughout this forum is kind of confusing:

SharpToolsUSA.com - Your Tormek Connection
Old 03-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Well, yes. But you're assuming I actually remember what I read!

I'm glad it worked for the rest of you, though. At least we're clear on which grinder is best!
Old 03-11-2010, 06:33 PM

I am with you Peter, I thought Sharp Tools was a reseller of Tormek. After order chisels and a few planes.. I would love to hear a more detailed review of the Tormek.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post
I am with you Peter, I thought Sharp Tools was a reseller of Tormek. After order chisels and a few planes.. I would love to hear a more detailed review of the Tormek.
Bingo!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-11-2010, 11:28 PM

I was not trying to be cryptic, obtuse or anything like that.
SharpTools is a Tormek vendor.
Since they participate here, I thought, since I need Tormek things, I'll give Jeff a try over someone else.
The review was essentially that it went well, and I thought, human nature being what it is, someone ought to say it went well, and give credit where credit is due.

A Tormek review, there's a side issue. I've had mine like I said about 12 years now. I love the thing. Do I use it for everything? No, but I use it for a lot of things and even stuff like bench chisels that I get fussy with on an 8000grit waterstone, if they need the angle touched up, they start on the Tormek. It gets things sharp in a pretty short period of time.
From there, licking them across the waterstone is just gravy.

Even some of the things that I would have said years ago could be improved, have. For starters, the water trough. Not an issue on most tools, but a jointer knife can have water diverted outside the boundaries of the machine all over the bench.
They've made a trough extension for that.
The original wheel was (obviously, if you've been reading) hard to get off the shaft.
They've made stainless shafts and a much easier locking mechanism.
Grinding a completely new bevel on things sometimes took awhile.
You now have multiple stone options, if you like. The original, a very fine waterstone, and an agressive reprofiling stone. Nice!

I think over the years what I like the best is the thing first off has just been reliable. I seriously have done NOTHING maintenance until I broke the wheel. And that's my bust, not theirs. Any time I needed it, it was there, and all I have to do is throw a quart of water in the trough and 20 seconds later I'm back cutting at the bench.
And having it there, accessible, easy, has improved my tools, my sharpening, my work. If you're out on a job and the chisel is getting iffy, you keep going. If that thing is 10 feet away, you stop, lick it again, and go back. You save errors by keeping things the way they should be.

I think the gouge jig is slickernhell (try finding that in Merriam Webster). It did a great job on all of them. I had my fingernail streaming soda straw sized curlys over my shoulder last night out of a hunk of ash. It was a beautiful thing.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:30 PM

Hi

slickernhell it's not in Merriam Webster and if you search Google only have 2 results!!, one is your post and the other is

BadAssBassPlayers.com • View topic - rack bag opinions needed

By the way I'm thinking in get a Tormek, but I'm not sure if a T-7 or a T-3
Old 04-03-2010, 09:26 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post
A real classic done without a teleprompter!
Old 04-03-2010, 10:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard0 View Post
Hi

slickernhell it's not in Merriam Webster and if you search Google only have 2 results!!, one is your post and the other is

BadAssBassPlayers.com • View topic - rack bag opinions needed

By the way I'm thinking in get a Tormek, but I'm not sure if a T-7 or a T-3
You'll want the T-7. It's got a bigger wheel and motor. Check it out:

http://www.tormek.com/en/machines/index.php

Last edited by TahoeTwoBears; 04-03-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
And I want to know who Ellsworth is. Only one I know happened to be the only nice guy in Deadwood.
I believe they/he make lathe tools, rather higher end stuff if I remmeber right.