talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Sharp Tools USA

Sharp Tools USA Sales Service and Support for Tormek Water Cooled Sharpening Systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 12:29 AM

Default New Belt Grinding Attachment for Bench Grinders

Sharp Tools USA has been completely dedicated to Tormek sales and service for the last several years, but times change and specialization can be a flawed policy. I've been on the lookout for some complementary products for several months. The first one that we're introducing is an attachment for an ordinary bench grinder that makes it a much more useful tool.

Here's a link to today's blog entry where I talk about it: SharpToolsUSA.com - Your Tormek Connection
At the bottom of that, you'll find a link to the store (surprise, surprise!)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:29 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default Re: New Belt Grinding Attachment for Bench Grinders

Pretty cool. What size are the belts?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
Pretty cool. What size are the belts?

See, I knew I floated this out in front of this group first for a reason.

2" x 36"

Time to edit.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:08 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Are that disk and table part of the MultiTool?

If not, you might want to show it on an ordinary grinder.
I'd like to see the attachment details.

"(if you have a stamped steel guard around your grindstone) the adapter plate bolts onto your grinder, the frame of the MultiTool bolts to the adapter plate, the drive wheel replaces your grindstone,"

..so where does that disk come in?
Old 01-22-2010, 04:22 PM

The disk and table are part of the kit. I suppose I should talk about it in the description, but I don't use them personally, so I sort of forget about it. In fact, I take it off most of the time. On my next shipment from MultiTool, it will be optional. Also, when my abrasive supply lines are more direct, I will be offering the disks in hook and loop in addition to PSA.

The disk is the end of the wheel that bolts in place of the grindstone. The disk surface under the sandpaper is held to the hub by 6 screws. The hub is an aluminum die casting.

EDITED TO ADD:

By the way, Michael...thanks for bringing that up. Blog and catalog description have been edited to add some details on the disk.

Last edited by jeffinsgf; 01-22-2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Added something
Old 01-22-2010, 05:28 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

That's good news Jeff and makes the price more attractive.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:28 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

And also, the disc size?

I inherited a little Craftsman 5" wheel, 1/5 HP grinder that I don't have a purpose for -- this could be a good use for it. Does the company specify a minimum recommended horsepower? Also, it has a 1/2" arbor as opposed to my larger 8" wheel machine that has a 5/8" shaft. Without going back to your website, do they accommodate various shaft (arbor) sizes?
Old 01-22-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
And also, the disc size?

I inherited a little Craftsman 5" wheel, 1/5 HP grinder that I don't have a purpose for -- this could be a good use for it. Does the company specify a minimum recommended horsepower? Also, it has a 1/2" arbor as opposed to my larger 8" wheel machine that has a 5/8" shaft. Without going back to your website, do they accommodate various shaft (arbor) sizes?
Ron,

The 1/2" arbor is not a problem, but a 1/5HP 5 inch grinder might be a little under-powered. While PA Products doesn't indicate a minimum HP they do specify "6, 8 or 10 inch grinder" I have it from them that smaller HP motors either struggle with the polishing and Scotch-Brite belts, or just can't run them at all. The abrasive belts might run just fine, though. I also think that the attachment might outweigh a 5 inch grinder, which could be overcome by bolting the grinder to a baseboard (which I recommend anyway). You would also need to check the guard bolt pattern. I just went out in the warehouse and opened a box to check. From the center of the shaft to the mounting holes for the guard your minimum spacing is 1 inch.

One thing about it, you can always try it on what you have. If it seems too under-powered, it would only take a few minutes to switch it onto a different grinder.

OOPS: Missed the disk size question on the first look. It is 7 inches.

Last edited by jeffinsgf; 01-22-2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: missed something.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:18 PM

The Delta grinder that Jeff recommends may be cheaper at the big box stores depending on state taxes (Jeff doesn't sell them):
Amazon.com: DELTA GR450 ShopMaster 8-Inch...Amazon.com: DELTA GR450 ShopMaster 8-Inch...
And,
I found a template to determine grinder compatibility:
http://www.vansantent.com/Multitool%20adapter.pdf

By the way, Jeff has a much better Multitool price which includes the 7" disc grinder & miter table.

Last edited by RONWEN; 01-22-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:25 PM

Yep, those would work. However, while not trying to make too deep a hole in your pocket, the Delta that I have in the photos is variable speed from 1725 to 3450 rpm, which is a WONDERFUL feature to have with this rig. It's $138 at Lowe's or Home Despot.

Edited to Add...

The Delta comes with a very nice friable white aluminum oxide wheel, a diamond dresser, and a buffing wheel. Apples to apples, it's a better deal than the 65 dollar (plus shipping) Chinese grinder you found on eBay.

Last edited by jeffinsgf; 01-22-2010 at 07:29 PM.