talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Sharp Tools USA

Sharp Tools USA Sales Service and Support for Tormek Water Cooled Sharpening Systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 04:34 AM

Default Re: New Belt Grinding Attachment for Bench Grinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
Nice improvement over the 1/3hp . -- Mirock will be proud.
Is that Morock orMcGiver???
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-05-2010, 04:40 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkTom View Post
Is that Morock orMcGiver???
I can't imagine what Mirock would be able to accomplish with McGiver's Swiss Army knife!!!
parody mfs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:04 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Philip Marcou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwas View Post
I've been tinkering with one but as nice as Phillips. Mine started life as a little 1x30 inch sander (cost $35 from Harbor Freight or Enco) but the 1/3 hp motor was just too small. I had a spare 1 hp motor sitting here so I decided to go for it. I had to make a new chassis to hold the motor but was able to use all the pulleys/wheels and table from the original sander. The table can be tilted and is removable.

If I have the formula right, SFPM=RPM x Wheel Dia x pi / 12 giving me 3450 x4 x 3.14/12= 3600.

I know it grinds HS steel lathe bits like a breeze now. Same with drill bits, just a twist and they're done.

Next I want to convert it to 1x42 inch and then I will look at getting a bigger model like yours.
The formula is correct for surface feet per minute. Belt grinders are happy at speeds as fast as 5000 sfpm but for homemade ones then one needs to have things balanced properly at those speeds.
If you make a bigger version the 3 wheel format is good because there is room for horizontal grinding against a platten , plus a vertical platten backed/ unsupported section. The thing is that when one starts using longer belts the means for tracking and tensioning need to be more robust.
My one is quite unconventional because I made it to accommodate a big range of belt lengths, and the tracking wheel is also the wheel which does the tensioning. Never got round to dust extraction, but I did make a belt guard which is not used though as I found that when a belt breaks without warning(not often) the biggest danger is the fright one gets because they sound like rifle shots.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:17 AM

Phillip,
Thanks for the advice. I don't think mine is balanced perfectly, I wouldn't want to take it 5000 sfpm.

My belt tensioning is simply a spring. The tracking has lots of adjustment room but seems to have little effect. Works okay for what I have but it may need some tweaking when I upgrade it to 42 inch. I'll give this some thought before starting the upgrade.

I just got done with a sanding job that I needed to remove the platen to get some rounding on the object. I had enough space but the 42 inch belt and extra space would have been handy.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Marcou View Post
Nice to see someone extolling the virtues of the Belt Grinder-and not confusing it with a belt Sander.
In my view everyone should have one of these, or at least a version of it, because of the sheer versatility of the thing: there is a huge range of coated abrasives out there, including diamond belts, so why not take advantage of this? Doesn't matter if you are a diy week end tinkerer with wood , metal or any other medium, or a professional , or a mad scientist living in a shed, the belt grinder is good for so many jobs.
I think that the type in the form of an attachment to a bench grinder is better than nothing, although many advantages are lost because of short belt etc.
Ideally it should be able to accommodate a range of belt lengths, have various tool rest options, various contact wheel options and means to vary drive speed. (You get various sfm speeds if you have contact wheels of various diameters). Being able to run on either two or three wheels is also an advantage.
I buily my own years back , for knife making etc, but I wouldn't know what to do without one. I use it almost every day-and would still use it often if I were back into woodworking full time again.
If you look here: US Knife Makers!, Operated by a knifemaker for knifemakers! there is a good design easy to make, not costing too much either.
Philip,

That is a real monster but I would love to have one as well. Unfortunately when it comes to building or rebuilding machines I am a complete idiot.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31