talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Sharp Tools USA

Sharp Tools USA Sales Service and Support for Tormek Water Cooled Sharpening Systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 03:06 PM

Default Re: New Belt Grinding Attachment for Bench Grinders

Sometimes I do it completely freehand, but most often I scoot the Universal Support close to the stone and rest the tool on that. The trick is to sneak up on the stone, watching the gap between the tool and the grindstone closely, and make contact all at once.

Glad you mentioned that. I am getting ready to shoot a video on freehand grinding on the Tormek, and that really should be in there.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:40 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Do you ever have to dress the side of the stone?

How would you do that?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:57 PM

Michael,

It is cut flat from the factory, and unless you are using it to restore a lot of really hacked flea market tools, should stay that way. I clean it with the stone grader periodically, but that's all mine has ever needed (and I get some pretty hacked tools from prospective customers).
Old 01-26-2010, 08:23 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Back in the day, I regularly used a cutter grinder that had built in diamond dressers for both the face and the side of the wheel. It of course had a set of collets for various diameter cutters & tool steels. As an apprentice I spent lots of time operating the panograph machine (no CNC :p). Often to engrave fine detail reverse printing on a mold cavity I would use (make) a cutter with a 5 taper and .006" diameter at the end. I would sit for hours (& weeks) milling the letter details wearing a magnifier head band. After a period of time I got a terrible case of eye strain that took months to completely clear up.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:20 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Philip Marcou

Nice to see someone extolling the virtues of the Belt Grinder-and not confusing it with a belt Sander.
In my view everyone should have one of these, or at least a version of it, because of the sheer versatility of the thing: there is a huge range of coated abrasives out there, including diamond belts, so why not take advantage of this? Doesn't matter if you are a diy week end tinkerer with wood , metal or any other medium, or a professional , or a mad scientist living in a shed, the belt grinder is good for so many jobs.
I think that the type in the form of an attachment to a bench grinder is better than nothing, although many advantages are lost because of short belt etc.
Ideally it should be able to accommodate a range of belt lengths, have various tool rest options, various contact wheel options and means to vary drive speed. (You get various sfm speeds if you have contact wheels of various diameters). Being able to run on either two or three wheels is also an advantage.
I buily my own years back , for knife making etc, but I wouldn't know what to do without one. I use it almost every day-and would still use it often if I were back into woodworking full time again.
If you look here: US Knife Makers!, Operated by a knifemaker for knifemakers! there is a good design easy to make, not costing too much either.
Attached Thumbnails
new-belt-grinding-attachment-bench-grinders-p1070009.jpg   new-belt-grinding-attachment-bench-grinders-p1070013.jpg   new-belt-grinding-attachment-bench-grinders-p1070014.jpg  
Old 02-04-2010, 12:57 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

That's a very nice grinder that you've built there Philip. The "no weld" grinder on the U.S. Knifemaker site is pretty slick also although if I were building one I'd be inclined to allow myself to do some welding to make it a little more compact & handier.
Over the years I've purchased a number of Kalamazoo two wheel and Burr King three wheel grinders for various shops that I was responsible for -- as you say, they are an absolute must for everything from heavy metal stock removal to fine polishing. At trade shows Burr King used to demo their grinders by taking big old files & leaning on them into the belt and just make them "disappear" before your eyes, then quickly change to a fine belt & highly polish something else.

"Velvet Touch" Three Wheel Belt Grinders Model 760 on Burr King Manufacturing Co., Inc.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:21 PM

I've been tinkering with one but as nice as Phillips. Mine started life as a little 1x30 inch sander (cost $35 from Harbor Freight or Enco) but the 1/3 hp motor was just too small. I had a spare 1 hp motor sitting here so I decided to go for it. I had to make a new chassis to hold the motor but was able to use all the pulleys/wheels and table from the original sander. The table can be tilted and is removable.

If I have the formula right, SFPM=RPM x Wheel Dia x pi / 12 giving me 3450 x4 x 3.14/12= 3600.

I know it grinds HS steel lathe bits like a breeze now. Same with drill bits, just a twist and they're done.

Next I want to convert it to 1x42 inch and then I will look at getting a bigger model like yours.
Attached Thumbnails
new-belt-grinding-attachment-bench-grinders-hf-belt-sander.gif   new-belt-grinding-attachment-bench-grinders-belt-sander-1.jpg   new-belt-grinding-attachment-bench-grinders-belt-sander-2.jpg  
Old 02-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Excellent use of duct tape, Steve!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:41 PM

I forgot about the duct tape. The motor has cooling holes on both sides. I used the duct tape to stop the metal filings from getting sucked into the motor. The duct tape goes about 3/4 way around, still leaving room for cooling air.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:05 AM

Nice improvement over the 1/3hp . -- Mirock will be proud.