talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Sharp Tools USA

Sharp Tools USA Sales Service and Support for Tormek Water Cooled Sharpening Systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 09:44 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default Re: New Belt Grinding Attachment for Bench Grinders

Does Multitool offer an attachment tool rest for the belt? Or would the choice be to use the BGM-100 Bench Grinder Mount that Tormek offers?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-24-2010, 09:53 PM

MultiTool doesn't have anything. I put a BGM-100 on mine, but only about half the jigs work, so I didn't want to promote the idea heavily. The flat plate tool rest (SVD-110) works just fine and provides what most folks are looking for.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-25-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I put a BGM-100 on mine, but only about half the jigs work, so I didn't want to promote the idea heavily. The flat plate tool rest (SVD-110) works just fine and provides what most folks are looking for.
I have had one of these in use for about 5 or 6 months now. There's a description on my website: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Woodwor...ngNirvana.html

I made two modifications: firstly, I have a choice of two heights as I use the Angle Setter, and the two heights offer different grinding angles.

Secondly, I changed the location of the hold down screw on the flat plate so that I could use it on the bench grinder (it is not meant for freehand grinding, as I use it, but for preparing scrapers).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Last edited by derekcohen; 01-25-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:51 PM

Derek,

We were discussing the use of the BGM-100 with a MultiTool belt grinding attachment, rather than a normal bench grinder. I appreciate and share your enthusiasm for the BGM-100, though it was not intended for use with bench tools. It was and is supported by Tormek for the shaping of turning tools only. Disclaimer mode off.

Last edited by jeffinsgf; 01-25-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:17 AM

Ron,

I spent most of the day trying to make a BGM-100 set up work on the MultiTool, and have decided that it just isn't going to work. The problem exists even with the flat tool rest, which I thought would work. The crux of the problem is that the Tormek jigs and tool rests all assume that the abrasive surface is falling away from the tool and the jig on both sides. On the MultiTool platen, the knobs and supports, etc. all end up running into the belt or the guard. It could be made to work by rotating the contact wheel down, but then you would be designing a two leveled rig and would make freehand use of the MultiTool (which is what it does best) difficult to impossible. It could also be set up on the contact wheel, but I don't think anyone wants the hollow off a 3.5" diameter wheel on their tools.

I'll be meeting with the MultiTool inventor in a couple weeks and will talk to him about a rudimentary tool rest over the platen.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:59 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

The Multitool sharpening attachment Part # MTSJIG does present the tool "upsidedown" to the belt.

I see it available on "the other site"
Multitool belt and disc grinder attachment at Van Sant Enterprises, Inc.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:38 AM

Yeah. I've got one of those. For chisels, the hollow off the 3.5" contact wheel is ugly. I wouldn't want it on a plane iron, either. I may carry it if people ask for it, but its absence from my site was not an oversight.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:49 AM

Is Tormek working on a solution for the backs of plane irons & chisels?
Old 01-26-2010, 04:59 AM

Working on???

I use the side of the Tormek grindstone to lap tools all the time.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffinsgf View Post
Working on???

I use the side of the Tormek grindstone to lap tools all the time.
Do you do that free-hand? I forget that the Tornek is very slow RPM & not like holding against the side of a regular grinding wheel.

Last edited by RONWEN; 01-26-2010 at 11:55 AM.