talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Manufacturers & Vendors of Fine Tools > Sharp Tools USA

Sharp Tools USA Sales Service and Support for Tormek Water Cooled Sharpening Systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 03:20 AM

Default Tormek Updates

Well, since this is a brand new forum for me, I'll give you guys a little nugget of information a few weeks before anyone else hears about it.

There is a new water tray for the Tormek 10 inch machines (T-7 and 2000). It has a wider lip and an extra gutter that can be added for very wide tools like planer blades and large kitchen knives. Packed along with the new water tray you'll get a brand new pair of shoes. They're for your Tormek though. For sloppy jobs like planer blades, put the shoes on the feet on the honing wheel side of the Tormek, and it puts the frame at a slight angle so that the water runs off into the water tray.

We've also brought out a new main shaft with a left hand thread and a specially designed knurled nut to retain the stone. Installing and removing the stone is now tool free and nearly effortless.

All three features are found on machines shipped to the USA after the first of September. The upgrade products will be available to all Tormek dealers at the first of the December. We have them ready to ship now.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-11-2009, 04:12 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default Re: Tormek Updates

I've been considering expanding into wood turning & when I do yours seems to be the sharpening tool of choice.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-16-2009, 04:19 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffinsgf View Post
Well, since this is a brand new forum for me, I'll give you guys a little nugget of information a few weeks before anyone else hears about it.

There is a new water tray for the Tormek 10 inch machines (T-7 and 2000). It has a wider lip and an extra gutter that can be added for very wide tools like planer blades and large kitchen knives. Packed along with the new water tray you'll get a brand new pair of shoes. They're for your Tormek though. For sloppy jobs like planer blades, put the shoes on the feet on the honing wheel side of the Tormek, and it puts the frame at a slight angle so that the water runs off into the water tray.

We've also brought out a new main shaft with a left hand thread and a specially designed knurled nut to retain the stone. Installing and removing the stone is now tool free and nearly effortless.

All three features are found on machines shipped to the USA after the first of September. The upgrade products will be available to all Tormek dealers at the first of the December. We have them ready to ship now.
Jeff,

Welcome aboard here. I apologize for being so late in jumping in. I was getting ready for and then working a very small hand tool show run by Lie-Nielsen. I had the honor of representing Philip Marcou.

Anyway, thank you for the scoop and I would love to see pictures of some of things you are speaking about as well as anything else that you think might be of interest here. If you need help, we have a wonderful set up under User and Guest Information and then Forum Help Desk and the the sub-forum of Forum Features and How to FAQ's or just follow this link: Forum Features & How-to FAQ - talkFestool

Take care and again thank you for the information and welcome aboard.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 12-23-2009, 03:36 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I've been reading Ron Hock's new book The Perfect Edge -- He mentions being very impressed with the Tormek T-7 and apparently has made a suggestion for improvement of adding a jig for flattening the backs of plane irons. Ron suggested a design for the jig and believes it may be available on the latest model.
Does anyone know if this has been included as one of the many accessories?
It sounds like it's quite a great machine.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post

Does anyone know if this has been included as one of the many accessories?
It sounds like it's quite a great machine.
Ron, I don't see anything about it on the Sharp Tool site. I have the T7 (it is a great machine) and I'd be very interested in such a jig.

(Just orered that book )
Old 12-23-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Ron, I don't see anything about it on the Sharp Tool site. I have the T7 (it is a great machine) and I'd be very interested in such a jig.

(Just orered that book )
According to (the other ) Ron, they do describe a procedure to handle that task but (the other ) Ron suggested a fixture for them to add to their accessories. It looks like a great machine.

Understand that Ron (the other one ) doesn't suggest running out and buying one -- he suggests starting at the minimum basic investment for sharpening and go from there.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post

I've been reading Ron Hock's new book The Perfect Edge ...
Ain't Amazon great, I ordered this book on Wednesday, and it arrived yesterday (Thursday). A good book, and I'm enjoying it all the more because Fred ordered his "pre-release" and he still hasn't received his copy yet.

Once again (for a short time) I have something that Fred doesn't. :460:
Old 12-25-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Ain't Amazon great, I ordered this book on Wednesday, and it arrived yesterday (Thursday). A good book, and I'm enjoying it all the more because Fred ordered his "pre-release" and he still hasn't received his copy yet.

Once again (for a short time) I have something that Fred doesn't. :460:
I guess that's two of us. I've had The Perfect Edge and also Made by Hand by Tom Fidgen for a week or two. Sorry Fred, Ya gotta get quicker!
Old 12-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

Man - how to bum Fred out on Christmas day. You guys are harsh! Just because he has a few more Marcou's than you...
Old 12-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

Man - how to bum Fred out on Christmas day. You guys are harsh! Just because he has a few more Marcou's than you...
Peter, it may seem harsh, but it is so seldom that anyone can "one-up" Fred that we must take our opportunities where we find them, even if it means whacking him on Christmas.