talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Reviews

Reviews Reviews of machines, tools, and accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2015, 03:36 AM

Default About that Domino XL 700 ...

I love this beast of a machine. I began working with it yesterday and it has already saved me at least a weeks work and no cleanup. Can't beat that with a stick.

I used to use my router to make mortises in some doors I'm making and while my mortise rig worked very well it was slow and made a mess because I had no way to collect the saw dust. The Domino has made all of that obsolete. No noise, no cleanup, no wasted time. This is heaven.

I also quickly learned to make 3-inch wide mortises which is what I used for six of the mortise-tenon joints. For the others I used double-12mm-dominos.

I will admit that my first two mortises with the Domino were disasters because the machine felt like my P-C plate joiner and I treated it as such. Doing so locked it up because I was not giving it sufficient time to bore the mortises. Dumb mistake, but I'm good to go now.

I am very glad I made this purchase.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-10-2015, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: About that Domino XL 700 ...

I haven't tried the big one, but my baby-sized Domino has pretty much stopped me from all router-driven mortise and tenon joinery. It just doesn't make sense to pound away with chisels and screw up with saws when the Domino takes a few seconds. I agree with you: I love this puppy!
Old 07-10-2015, 04:21 AM

@Poto

I really think this is one of the best power tools that I have ever purchased. The same goes for the TS75. Both have saved me a ton of work on door making. Heavy doors are impossible to trim on a table saw. The TS75 makes these cuts safely and easily. And again, no clean up.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-10-2015, 05:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot View Post
@Poto

I really think this is one of the best power tools that I have ever purchased. The same goes for the TS75. Both have saved me a ton of work on door making. Heavy doors are impossible to trim on a table saw. The TS75 makes these cuts safely and easily. And again, no clean up.
Yea, Domino joinery is a game changer and the TS75 has worked well for me as well. I'm glad it's all working well for you
Old 07-10-2015, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I bought the DF700 last year to do some trusses for a shed I'm building. It worked very easily on the 2x8 end grain cuts. I used the "wings" to locate the second hole off the long point on the rafters. Great machine!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 07-10-2015, 07:34 PM

I have both of the Domino's and am totally pleased with them. The 700 does seem to be a bit easier to use, which I and others usually chalk up to the different handle/head arrangement on it compared to the smaller 500.
Now if I can just stop staring at the large spinning bits of the 700 while they're so close to my hands.....
Old 07-10-2015, 08:00 PM

I had both but sold the DF500 after getting the Seneca adapter and preferring the ergonomics of the 700. I use it a fair bit with the smaller bits and have used 50+ 4mm dominos so far in the MFTC I am currently building.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:58 PM

I've had the 500 since its release to the public. It was a game changer back then, and still is today
It's paid for itself many times over, and in the woodworking business, to have a tool like the domino available, you'd be silly not to take a good hard look at it.
I don't have the 700, but if a particular job comes along that makes it worth my while to invest in it, I'd purchase it with confidence. Domino, best tool festool has made for a long time.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:47 AM

I've been thinking ...

IMO, there are three basic machines that woodworker's must have: jointer, planer, and a table saw. There are hundred's of variations or models of these machines, but they all accomplish the same task they were designed for regardless of price. You can add all the bells and whistles you want to these machines but none of these 'features' changes its basic task. They cut, they joint and they plane. Period.

That said, none of these machines can make a mortise. We make mortises by hand with hammer and chisel, we could use a mortiser or we could use a router. They will each get the job done, some better/faster than others.

Then along comes the Domino. This machine blows the doors off of any method we woodworker's have ever devised to make mortises. I made a mortise rig that I thought I should patent - we've all had that experience, right? But to use my super mortising rig I had to wear a respirator, safety glasses, hearing protection and then I had to spend hours cleaning up my mess because my router rig vac connection could not capture all the sawdust I was making. I never timed it, but I'm sure each mortise must have taken five minutes or so to rout. I had to blow out the sawdust after each pass so as not to enlarge the mortise. Point here is that sawdust was all over my shop. It would take me probably two days to rout all the mortises in a typical door. In my case I needed 28 - 3"wide x 2"deep x 1/2" thick mortises. Bottom line: I dreaded doing this, but that was the only way I could get the job done. The task that took most of my time was setting up for each mortise. My rig will plunge mortises in either the sides or ends of boards, but again, setup took care and time.

But, those bloody days are over. After getting my D700 I had my second door joined in less than one day. And everything in my shop was not coated with 2" of sawdust!!

So, as far as I'm concerned the D700 has now become the fourth basic tool that any woodworker should have in his shop. It makes making mortises faster, safer and healthier. I have always preferred floating tenons for my joinery and the D700 has made my joinery very, very efficient. My only regret is that I did not discover it sooner. Now I know.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Phillip

Last edited by patriot; 07-11-2015 at 03:55 AM. Reason: add some content
Old 07-11-2015, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Great points about the DF700, Phillip! I usually buy a tool with a specific task in mind, but then end up using it for other applications. I started my Festool journey with a TS75, DF500, RO125EQ and CT33. A couple of dozen systainers later.....

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959