talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Reviews

Reviews Reviews of machines, tools, and accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2015, 02:38 AM

Default Re: About that Domino XL 700 ...

The domino 500 started me on the green koolaid as well, it still is my favorite, opened up many types of projects that were previously unworkable for my skill and equipment level.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-12-2015, 03:42 AM

@Paul

"... green koolaid ...", good one. Gotta remember that one.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-12-2015, 04:22 AM

After setting up a mortise attachment on my drill press and trying to do the mortises for deck rails, and also a prototype with a router jig, the results were less than satisfactory and with 21 deck posts to do, would have taken forever. I bought the DF500 to see if it would work for this one project and planned on returning it if it didn't perform.

It is now my go to tool for face frames and most cabinet joinery. If I could only have one power tool, my Domino would be it. Everything else can be done better with hand tools albeit somewhat slower. I don't yet have a DF700 but wish it existed when I built the deck rails. I guess I need to mix up a batch of kool-aid and head to the store.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:36 PM

@twistsol

I hear you on how necessary these tools can become. My only regret is that it took me too long to realize the amazing benefits of these power tools.

I truly believe in making my joinery 'the good old fashioned way', meaning by hand. Doing so really just makes me feel good when done and I will most likely continue to do so. For instance, I pride myself in making hand-cut dovetails and would NEVER use a router-rig for these. I mean no offense to those who do, but my preference for this joinery will always be to do it by hand. My dovetails are confined to small projects such as jewelry box joinery.

But, when I am on a timeline on large projects such as doors, I will use the best tool(s) for the job and now, that means using my Festools. I do so primarily because of their functionality and their superior dust collection capability. Period!

Phillip

Last edited by patriot; 07-12-2015 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Added some punctuation.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:17 PM

@patriot

For me it is all about speed. I'm a road warrior and live in hotels and airplanes so I might get one day a month in the shop. If I have two or three drawers to do, I'll hand cut dovetails If it's more than that, I jig up the router table. In every case where it is capable of performing the task, the Domino is faster and more accurate, period.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:46 PM

@twistsol

I feel for you. My wife used to live like that for years. Really takes a toll on you.

I have no experience with the 500. From what I gleaned from the web, the 700 was the better of the two machines save for its weight, which is inconsequential as far as I'm concerned. If I had to use it over and over for days on end I might be singing a different tune, but for now it is not a concern.

I totally agree with you on the precision of the Dominos. I am currently into door projects. The first I made my mortises with my mortise-router rig and the second with the 700. So far it has saved me a weeks worth of time and no cleanup to speak of. That is a HUGH difference to me!!

I currently have the OF 2200 (with accessory kit) and the CT 36 on the way. I have definitely falled down the Festool rabbit hole.

Take care.