talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Reviews

Reviews Reviews of machines, tools, and accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2015, 04:29 PM

Default Band Saw with Stand Review

im interesting with Jet JWBS-10OS 10-Inch Band Saw with Stand
on amazon, i've read many reviews, but im still not satisfied with it.
anyone can give me more reviews ? i saw it here AmazonAmazon and also need an advise, interesting to use it for my job.
thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-07-2015, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Band Saw with Stand Review

I bought a Jet bandsaw pretty similar to that one - maybe slightly larger. It worked fine for what it did. But eventually I sold it and got a 14" Laguna, which is awesome for resawing (which the Jet could not do). In retrospect I probably should have kept the Jet and had the Laguna as well - the Laguna for resawing, and the Jet for curvy things.

Depending on what you're planning on doing with the Jet, you'll either love it, or find it underpowered.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:25 PM

Default Re: Band Saw with Stand Review

Many woodworkers echo Poto's remarks...
If you plan on curved work or something like Fret work or Scroll saw tight cuts, then a stand alone BS with a narrow blade would be nice to have as long as the wood you're working with isn't that thick[ 10" Band saws have small motors]
I've read of many shops where they have a 10", a 14" and one machine larger, all with the perfect blade set-up for the work that particular machine is best at.
however, if you're on a budget, I can only follow Poto's advice and say get a well made 14" saw that can do it all for you within reason.
They are the workhorse of small shops for a good reason, 1 1/2 HP motors or better, up to 5/8" or maybe 3/4" blade max capacity , with 3/8" or 1/2" being the normal size used for most work. But will also handle narrow blades for most machines quite nicely too.
I have the Rikon 14" machine, that used to max out at 1 1/2HP when I bought it, but is now being offered with larger motor options and does a nice job of resawing if I take my time when I need to do that operation even with the smaller motor that I've got on it.