talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Reviews

Reviews Reviews of machines, tools, and accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 06:08 PM

Default Review of the Kreg K5 Pocket Hole Jig Set

I just bought one, and can compare it to the older K4 since I own both for the time being. (Craigslist is definitely in my future since I don't need multiple sets!$

Last edited by Leakyroof; 02-15-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-22-2013, 11:39 PM

Default re: Review of the Kreg K5 Pocket Hole Jig Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post
I just bought one, and can compare it to the K3 and K4 since I own all 3 for the time being. (Craigslist is definitely in my future since I don't need all 3 sets!$
I tend not to screw my work together, but I'd be interested to see what you think of it
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-23-2013, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
I tend not to screw my work together, but I'd be interested to see what you think of it
I didn't either , for a long time I sat out of the whole pocket screw market, then bought an assortment of a kit from McFeely's, and STILL didn't touch for a good 4-5 years..
Finally decided I needed to find out all about the whole process and proceeded to buy a Kreg Kit just about every time they came out with one.
But, I was still such an infrequent user that I didn't catch on to a particular jig's shortcomings until way after I bought it....
So, I'm learning as I go, and wanted to save others my procrastination grief and poor purchases headaches.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Hasn't anyone seen the Kreg infomercials? You can screw up all your projects with one of these!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 09-25-2013, 02:07 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

I'm for the review. I'm curious whether you think the K5 is worth upgrading from the K3. The K4 was a mistake I'm glad I didn't buy.

The toe-nailed screw is very useful. You can get a good bit of clamping pressure in places that are difficult to clamp. The Kreg system makes it much easier to drill the holes and the auger point washer head screws don't split the wood.

Using the pocket hole screws in combination with Dominos neutralizes the drawbacks of both systems to the extent that it's possible to eliminate clamping.

Pocket hole screws by themselves can be problematic, especially when using glue. The angled screw tends to pull the piece it passes through forward a little as the screw is tightened. It's a limited and predictable amount so it can be minimized with planning like back-setting the top piece a mm or so to start but it's best to have a solid stop to prevent the top piece from sliding. The stop can be external like a block of wood clamped in position or a bench dog in the worktable or it can be internal like a Domino. Biscuits limit movement but because their fit is much looser than Dominos they don't eliminate it.

This Kreg R3 jr. pocket hole kitThis Kreg R3 jr. pocket hole kit is very well thought out and is a great introduction to the system. It's so good and portable that it's worth having even if you buy the larger K5 (or whatever kit).

This mini kit is half the priceThis mini kit is half the price if you're really hesitant.

Last edited by MichaelKellough; 09-25-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:12 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Like to hear it. I've got the K3 and would like to know if it's worth the upgrade.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:50 PM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

I'd be interested. I had a quick look at it the other day and it looks like a good upgrade from the K3... but good enough to warrant the upgrade? Yes, the K4 was a step backwards.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

I'm always interested in reviews - it's a great opportunity to learn something!

Old 09-25-2013, 11:46 PM

For people that use pocket screws, in what situations do you use them? I understand they save clamping time, but they are so darn ugly. They obviously need to be well hidden.
I can imagine my customers not being impressed to see those screw holes lined up along a cabinet
Old 09-26-2013, 12:11 AM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
I can imagine my customers not being impressed to see those screw holes lined up along a cabinet
Picky customers! I'd be impressed to see a bunch of wholes lined up

Pocket holes aren't used in my furniture. They do, however, get used often for jigs. I like their strength and speed of construction they allow as well as ease of disassembly.

Mr. Roof, if you want your review to reach a broader audience, you might be able to get it published on the Popular Woodworking blog.

Last edited by FlairWoodworks; 09-26-2013 at 12:19 AM.