talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Reviews

Reviews Reviews of machines, tools, and accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 12:42 AM

Default re: Review of the Kreg K5 Pocket Hole Jig Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlairWoodworks View Post
Okay, I just decided that I'd rather have a K4.

(Click the link!)
Yes, I see your point.......
Old 09-30-2013, 05:01 AM

Although I don't see one in my future, but I appreciate you taking the time to document it here I know from experience it takes a lot of time and effort.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-30-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Although I don't see one in my future, but I appreciate you taking the time to document it here I know from experience it takes a lot of time and effort.
Thanks Okami. I have one more bit to add later tonight. Removing the guide bushing section from the main jig and using it as a portable guide inside an existing cabinet or other box. Kreg refers to this as Repair Work in their manual. They include a spacer block that sets the spacing of the guide bushing/drill body away from the edge or corner of a work piece to get the right angle/depth of your pocket hole.
If I remember right, with the single spacer included in the kit, you're set for material thickness of 3/4", which could be handy for flimsy or failing drawer sides. But, you're going to need more spacers for thicker material, as they need to be added additionally to compensate correctly.
These spacers attach to the drill bushing section and are needed in multiple numbers if the material you're working with is thicker than a certain spec that each single spacer block covers. So it's one more thing to need, not lose, and possible need multiples of if you're working with the odd piece every now and then.
More info, 0 spacers for 1/2 material, 1 spacer for 3/4", 2 spacers for 1" material, 3 spacers for 1 1/4", and 4 spacers for 1 1/2" / stud thickness. A 3 pack from Kreg costs very little, and I bought one to have in case I run into using pocket screws with thicker material.

Last edited by Leakyroof; 10-03-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:41 PM

Here is a Kreg Drawing of the spacers and the drill guide section
Attached Thumbnails
review-kreg-k5-pocket-hole-jig-image.jpg  
Old 10-05-2013, 05:11 PM

Conclusions : I like my K5, I also like the newer auto-setting clamp addition. I'm not sure why the built-in drill bit depth setting section of the previous K4s was deleted in favor of the small screw depth jig of the K5, but as long as I don't lose it, I should be okay.
The ability to remove the drill bushing/guide section and use it in a portable fashion right at a workpiece is a great feature. I'm glad they kept that.
The dust collection port may get modified by Kreg, or not. For now, my port/box from my. K4 works well, even if it doesn't rotate.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:21 PM

Converted everything over to a T-Loc Sys 3 for all my pocket hole jig and clamp storage. I feel better already
Attached Thumbnails
review-kreg-k5-pocket-hole-jig-image.jpg  
Old 10-05-2013, 07:32 PM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

Now get some green paint for the clamping knobs and levers, etc.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:25 PM
thetoggleclampfactory

Default Re: Review of the Kreg K5 Pocket Hole Jig Set

Old 09-28-2014, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Review of the Kreg K5 Pocket Hole Jig Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
For people that use pocket screws, in what situations do you use them? I understand they save clamping time, but they are so darn ugly. They obviously need to be well hidden.
I can imagine my customers not being impressed to see those screw holes lined up along a cabinet
You can buy or make plugs to fill the holes. For face frames the most of the holes would be covered.

Some biscuit joints can show up It is also possible to assemble a project without glue using just the screws.

It is important to make sure the pieces being joined do not slip or move while having the screws driven into the holes. Clamps or clamping assembly tables are needed.

The clamp lever for the K4 in the back is a pain to access for large work pieces and this was changed to the front for the K5.