talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Reviews

Reviews Reviews of machines, tools, and accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 01:56 AM

Default re: Review of the Kreg K5 Pocket Hole Jig Set

Material thickness setting. Kreg changed this to an adjustable sliding gauge with its own lock pin , right at the top of the drill guide section. You pull the pin on the front side of the jig, which sits right above the dust collection elbow , and move the slider block section of the guides up or down as needed. There are only numbers on one side of the jigs outer section, so this picture will reflect that. I've set the jig to about 1" in this picture
Attached Thumbnails
review-kreg-k5-pocket-hole-jig-image.jpg  

Last edited by Leakyroof; 09-29-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-29-2013, 01:59 AM

I pulled the gauge all the way up to show the line of holes that the lock pin is engaging when you're setting material thickness.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 09-29-2013, 02:14 AM

Dust Collection- A lot of changes here and NOT all good either. Previously, the DC elbow was a fixed affair, pointing to the left. On the K5 however, it can rotate Almost 360 degrees, and that almost part is due to the locking pin of the gauge that you saw in the last pic. The elbow will run into it in either full turn direction.
Not a problem you say, I don't need my elbow pointing straight up anyway since the hose from my vac would then be in the way( silly reviewer...)
Ahh, but strangely there's more to this..
The plastic of the new collection port is much thinner and flimsy when compared to the older K4. Also, the elbow is so close to the 'box' section that you'd really only like an adapter to fit Inside the DC elbow and not Around the Outside. It gets worse. That wonderful rotating elbow is easily pulled off the collection port 'box' without much trouble. So, any heavy hose could easily yank it off with just a nudge since there are 4 tiny tangs or ears on the elbow that are keeping it attached to the box section.
They look fragile and easy to start shearing with rough job site usage.
However, there IS a silver lining. Either Kreg wanted to keep some parts interchangeable , or it's plain dumb luck that the older, much sturdier DC port will swap out with the new version if so desired.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 09-29-2013, 02:17 AM

The inside view of the box and the rotating elbow
Attached Thumbnails
Old 09-29-2013, 02:19 AM

K5 dc box with a with Fein Vac Step Adapter installed . You can't get anything on the OD of the elbow due to the tight clearance of the elbow to its mating box section. I'm surprised no one caught this in the planning stages. The inside adapter works fine here, but you can't move the set-up abruptly or the elbow will start to pop right out of the jig.
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Leakyroof; 09-29-2013 at 02:32 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-29-2013, 02:21 AM

Old elbow And New one, side by side Large difference in plastic wall. Does not flex like the K5
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Leakyroof; 09-29-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:34 AM

Older DC port installed on the K5
Attached Thumbnails
Old 09-29-2013, 04:35 AM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

Is there more to come?

So far, I'm not really impressed with the K5. The K3 and K4 have the depth collar setting gauge built right in so it won't get lost. Since I use my K3 mostly for jigs, almost all the materials I use are 3/4" thick so the quick adjustment isn't a big issue. I liked the idea of a swivelling dust port, but it doesn't sound like it's that great.

One other plus of the K5 over the K3 is that, I believe, the front clamp mechanism never protrudes below the bottom of the jig, so it can be used in the middle of a flat surface without being elevated.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:40 AM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

Okay, I just decided that I'd rather have a K4.

(Click the link!)
Old 09-29-2013, 05:41 AM

That is good to know about the dust port. I have a drop down elbow to fit the Festool D27 hose. And I don't think it would fit the K5 port. Does the older port attach firmly to the K5?

I half think maybe I should just upgrade to a Foreman.

Seth