talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Reviews

Reviews Reviews of machines, tools, and accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 12:19 AM

Default re: Review of the Kreg K5 Pocket Hole Jig Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlairWoodworks View Post
I'd be impressed to see a bunch of wholes lined up .
Chris, you need to get out of the woodshop more often
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-26-2013, 03:59 PM

Wow, I hadn't checked on this post in a few days, so I guess this weekend I will take pictures and post them along with a few thoughts on each of the Jigs. For the more frequent KREG users, feel free to ask questions about each jig that I would not have thought of since I don't use mine very much, yet....
Okami, I agree about the visual factor of pocket screws. That's one reason I held off using them for much.
M. Kellough, totally learned about the forward 'creep' the hard way when tightening up the joint/screw
Not much love for the K4 jig it seems...
I guess we'll see if the K5 is better and worth the money.
Just wait to trash the K4's on a Global Level until I off-load mine on Craigslist,
Old 09-27-2013, 05:16 PM

They should be coming out soon with one with a self adjusting clamp, no? Me? I still have the original all-aluminum one, model # unknown.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-28-2013, 09:08 PM

K5 as it appears in the box. 3 main components, the jig with the built-in Auto Adjust Clamp, and the two storage/support boxes that can be slid into the jig with their matching dovetails at either end.
Attached Thumbnails
review-kreg-k5-pocket-hole-jig-image.jpg  
Old 09-28-2013, 09:13 PM

Seth had asked over at FOG if the jigs were the same height. No, the new K5 is appox. 1/2 or 13mm taller on the work table section than the K4 next to it. If you had built something of a work station based on the older jig, this may require some reworking. K5 is just under 1 1/2", and the K4 is just under 1". I took this picture to help explain that.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 09-28-2013, 09:22 PM

You get an assortment of pocket screws, 5 wood caps or covers to try out, the Kreg Drill Bit and the collar for depth setting. They include a #2 square drive bit, an Allen/Hex Key for that drill bit collar, instructions, and a stop kit for the jig that registers your work against the stop bolt assembly for repetitive work/holes.
There is also a screw depth jig that takes the place of the molded-in or built-in set-up that the K4 has. More on that later, but for now, DON'T lose the small plastic screw depth jig.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 09-28-2013, 09:35 PM

This is the heart of the new jig . The Auto or quick adjusting Clamp.That grey button on top of the main clamp cylinder is pushed down to allow you to slide the clamp away from the drill guide section so you can set up the thickness of what you're clamping.
You push the outer locking handle down( much like a Table Saw Fence) . You then push the Grey button down and slide the clamp away from the drill guides. Put a piece of material/wood that's the same thickness as what you're working with, or your actual work piece if it's small. Now slide the clamp body back Toward your wood. You will feel it click over the ratchet sections under the clamp.
Now, lift the outer locking handle up while holding your material in place. You'll hear or feel two clicks as you're moving it upward.
Once you hear or feel that, you've set-up the clamp to provide the right amount of pressure once the handle is lowered downward.
So, now lower the outer handle to the locking position.
Your sample or your work piece should now be fairly tight in the Auto Clamp.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 09-28-2013, 09:43 PM

This is a shot of the locking handle lowered, in the clamping position. The clamp works well , and is fast. If you are moving between material of very different thickness, you'll need to reset the clamp to accommodate the other material, but it's very quick and easy to do so. Having some small pieces of various thickness that match your project would seem to be the way to go so you're not replying on juggling a large shelf or cabinet part that's both long and tall while reaching around to move that auto-cylinder into position for tension pressure setting.
More to follow .
Attached Thumbnails
Old 09-29-2013, 01:38 AM

Okay, here is the K4 and its built-in depth setting jig for the drill bit versus screw length. The K5 has a separate plastic jig that you do not want to lose as it's critical to using the K5 unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 09-29-2013, 01:49 AM

Now for the K5.
The next picture will deal with wood/stock thickness, but for this post I'm just showing the screw depth gauge change when compared to the older K4.
K5, - You insert the drill bit into one of the 3 guides, and place the blue plastic screw setting jig down on the main body near the bottom of the guide section, but, not against it. If you hold the jig against the guide section, the drill bit is unable to line up with any of the holes in the screw jig since it needs to be about 3/16" or so AWAY from the guide section. Hopefully this picture will help. There are numbers for the desired screw length that you've decided to use in white ink on the outside of the depth gauge or jig.
You simply line the hole of the screw length or range on the jig with the pilot tip of the drill bit. Set your collar at the other end of the drill bit and tighten it as before with other Kreg Jigs.
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Leakyroof; 09-29-2013 at 01:51 AM.