talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Reviews

Reviews Reviews of machines, tools, and accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 02:59 AM

Default The Veritas Shooting Plane - Reviewed

OK folks, as promised, once Rob and Co released their brand spanking new shooting plane, I would publish a review of the plane for your entertainment and education

The website link is here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...tingPlane.html

Feel free to ask any questions.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 08-27-2013, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: The Veritas Shooting Plane - Reviewed

Wonderfully thorough and informative review, Derek. Thank you so much for all your (considerable) efforts here.

I've heard that the initial edge of A2 blades can be a bit crumbly, but once you get 1/8" or so in, it behaves better. Is this your experience, and do you think it might affect your opinion about the LN blades? I've certainly found that my LN socket chisels have blades that chip very (annoyingly) easily. I'm hoping that further sharpening and use will get past that point.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:48 AM

Hi Poto

I was quite surprised to see how quickly the LN blades deteriorated. The one came from my #4 1/2, which I have had for several years, and I assumed that the longevity (or lack thereof) was affected by the high frog (55 degrees). The other was from my LN #51, and it has been a solid performer insofar as it performed well against my other shooters. That the Smoothcut outperformed these two blades indicates that the LN A2 steel, per se, is not as durable as it could be. That could be down to heat treatment.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 08-28-2013, 01:24 AM

Great review, Derek
I received an email today from Lee Valley with an introductory offer on this plane and a cabinet makers trimming plane. They look great!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:22 PM

Very nice review Derek, as always. And, as always, you give the reader some thoughts to ponder over with regards to blade/steel selection on their other planes that they already own..
Old 08-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Founding Member

Derek,

Thank you for the review. It was excellent and I loved the pictures of the various blades and planes.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-06-2013, 04:40 PM

Thanks for a terrific review. I also lashed out and treated myself to a LV shooting plane with the PMV-11 blade.

My plane received a ding on the base of the handle while in transit. My guess would be that the parcel was dropped with the body of the plane above the handle as the small milled area at the base of the handle was driven into the wood of the handle. It caused a triangular compression/cut about 7mm long and about 3mm deep on the bottom edge of the handle. I contacted LV in the hope future planes would be shipped with the handle removed to avoid this type of damage. Although it does not impact the function of the tool it is annoying to have your new toy arrive damaged.

I was suprised by the marked difference between blades in your test. I am glad I opted for the PMV-11 blade (Just a lucky choice not an informed one)
I have a 2 inch Smoothcut blade, that if I remember corerectly, I purchased from Garret Wade tools when they were in Australia. I checked their site and they do not appear to have them listed but Axminster tools in the UK do. All the best.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:49 PM

I have no doubt that LV will send you a replacement handle as they tend to consider the risks of shipping their responsibility.

I have a vague memory of mine arriving without the handle installed ...?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 09-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

I ordered mine this week - should arrive Tuesday. Thanks, Derek!
Old 09-07-2013, 02:25 AM

I'm curious what shooting boards people are using homemade or bought?
Pictures please