talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Reviews

Reviews Reviews of machines, tools, and accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: The Veritas Shooting Plane - Reviewed

I bought one from Tico Vogt at WIA in Cincinnati last fall. I use it with a Lie Nielsen Iron Miter plane and have really enjoyed it.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-08-2013, 04:46 AM

Match your shooting board with your shooting plane.

First of all, consider that the ramp angle of the shooting board is about 5 degrees, and the angle of the skew on the plane is 20 degrees.

The main advantage of the ramped board is to reduce the impact as the plane blade hits it. In a flat board with a square blade the impact would be square on. That produces maximum impact vibration. The ramping of the shooting board platform enables the blade to enter the wood progressively, that is, at an angle of 5 degrees, and this reduces the jarring from impact. A plane with a skewed blade, such as a #51-type, would enter the wood on a flat board at a progressive 20 degrees. On the ramped board this gets reduced to 15 degrees. For entry purposes this is not a significant factor, so you can continue using the ramped board with the #51-type plane. I would argue, nevertheless, that the main benefit from a ramped shooting board would be found for a shooting plane with a square blade.

The fact that there is a change of angle at impact does not mean that there is any change in the cutting performance of a skewed blade on a ramped shooting board. Once past the impact zone, the blade continues to cut as it always does. It is the shearing action of the skewed blade on the plane that is the strength of the #51-type shooter. The angle at which the work piece is held should not have any effect.

You may wish to read a comparison I made between three shooting planes (LN #51, LN #9 and LV LA Jack) on both flat and ramped shooting boards: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...sCompared.html

Scan down to "Cutting Angles and the Effect of Skew".

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 09-08-2013, 11:47 AM

Derek,

Nice review, I always thought that having the board ramped used more of the blade so it stayed sharper longer. Is this true, or just something that's been sitting in the back of my head?

Thanks,
Rutager
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-08-2013, 01:21 PM

Hi Rutager

That is just an old wife's tale

There is some spread of wear, but it is really only over a very small area, and insignificant. You'd get better spread of wear if you clamped the board in your vise and planed it on the skew.

Regards from Perth

Derek