talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Reviews

Reviews Reviews of machines, tools, and accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 10:15 PM

Default Chain Leg Vise for Roubo Bench

Ancora Yacht Service - Chain Leg Vise (retrofit kit)
chainlegvise@gmail.com
I built my Roubo Bench in 2010 using BenchCrafted's hardware and was very happy with it with one exception. The Parallel Guide and pin system on the Leg Vise was a pain in the a**.
After reading Derek's review of this alternative to the Parallel Guide and Pin system employed by many leg vises (not just BenchCrafted's), I decided to go for it and give it a go.
Installation took about two hours, required very little modification to my existing bench and the results are super. The vise is as powerful and as smooth as ever.
the install required that a 5/8" hole be drilled through the vise chop and leg, two sprockets were installed, then a small mortice was cut into my existing Parallel Guide to receive the chin end bracket, and finally the chain was attached. Pretty straightforward, with no surprises.
I added a Maple cover over the whole affair to keep out dust and improve aesthetics, but it's totally unnecessary.
No more fiddling with the pin and guide, you just close the vise on whatever sized object you have and away you go. It's so much more efficient.
Attached Thumbnails
chain-leg-vise-roubo-bench-img_5931.jpg   chain-leg-vise-roubo-bench-img_5901.jpg   chain-leg-vise-roubo-bench-img_5903.jpg   chain-leg-vise-roubo-bench-img_5925.jpg   chain-leg-vise-roubo-bench-img_5919.jpg  

chain-leg-vise-roubo-bench-img_5918.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:16 AM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.
Default Re: Chain Leg Vise for Roubo Bench

Looks great, Brian. Thanks for the review. I still can't quite wrap my head around how when you close the vise, the bottom moves in as well. I understand that the bottom would move out with the top because the chain is under tension.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:36 PM

Chris,I may build bridges for a living, but I am not an engineer. I am sure there are engineering principles at work here, and I had the same difficulty trying to understand how it works. But I can say......it works.
Maybe some of our fellow woodworkers can splain it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:42 AM

Before the chain was installed, in your case Brian, you had the glide rollers top and bottom and the bottom of the chop went in and out when you turned or spun the hand wheel. No one stops to think why, it just does because it is connected to the screw. It is the same when the chain is installed. When the screw is tightened to close the vise, it moves the chain in at the top and the beam at the bottom just pulls it along for the ride. The chop really just goes in and out like it always has, the chain just limits the thrust of the beam when a piece of wood is clamped above the screw. If you look at the chain when the vise is being opened it most likely will not have any tension on it, it is just going along with the chop. Hope that helps.
Jim
Old 11-14-2012, 12:54 AM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

To summarize Jim's answer:

It just does.

How very Frank Klaus of you