talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Reviews

Reviews Reviews of machines, tools, and accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 11:18 PM

Default Review of Bosch's new JS572EL Jigsaw

Like (I imagine), more than a few of us, I got tired of waiting and hoping for the Carvex to be released here in the USA.
I saw an announcement of a new Bosch Jigsaw (JS572EL / top handle model) to be released and read the impressive list of features. The short story is.....I bought it.
For the last week+ I have been having fun with it trying different blade/speed combinations and must say that I am a happy camper.
The features include: twin lights (which vastly improve visibility over my Trion), a chip blower, an articulated suction connection that hooks up to my Festool Vacs (with no adapter needed), a 7.2 Amp motor, variable speed control setting wheel along with variable speed control trigger. It has a twin wheel blade guide that is self centering and compensates for varying width blades, and a quick release tool less blade change system.
Everything and more than I was hoping to get when the Carvex came to North America.
So far I have played with cutting 3/4" Baltic Birch Plywood, 4/4 and 6/4 Mahogany, and 5/4 and 8/4 Hard Maple.....cross cutting, rip cutting and scrolling curves. Even when cutting the 8/4 Maple, the saw maintained whatever speed without hesitation.
The cuts were square... or very close to square, and with the twin lights showing the cut, it was very easy to stay right on the lines.
Compared to my Trion, The 572 is a clear step up. Is it going to replace the band saw? No way!

Brian
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Review of Bosch's new JS572EL Jigsaw

Good review Brian. I'm thinking pretty seriously about it.

The CMS router table was announced a couple of weeks after I bought my Incra set-up, so maybe if I buy this, the Carvex will come soon....

The fact that it connects easily to the Festool vac is huge for me.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-05-2012, 04:36 PM

Hey Brian,

How much clearence is there in the guides? Do the guides ride against the blade?

I am thinking of the barrel grip EBL as I too cannot wait for the Carvex...

Thanks
Ted
Old 09-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Nice review, Brian. I've been running a Bosch 1587AVSP (top handle) for many years and it is still an impressive saw. I had not planned on replacing it any time soon, but it is good to know that Bosch is still building good tools!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 09-05-2012, 10:29 PM

Creosote,
I'm not home at the moment, but to the best of my recollection there are two guide bearings or bushings, a small upper and a larger lower. The lower has what i can only describe as two tapered bushings that make the groove that receives the back of whatever size blade you are using. In effect it becomes self centering. If I have time this evening I'll try to grab a shot of the mechanism and post it. It's pretty slick.
My favorite thing are the twin lights. Nothing like being able to actually see where you're cutting.
One note of caution....on the barrel style model you only have a speed control wheel selector, because there is no trigger control. Not a big thing but something to be aware of.
Brian
Old 09-06-2012, 02:46 AM

I've had the Bosch 1590EVSK for about seven years. I don't use a jigsaw much, but when I do, it works very well
Bosch have always made a decent jigsaw. It seems Mafell have stepped up lately and are making a very decent saw too
Festool trying to catch up again eh
Old 09-06-2012, 08:16 PM

Creosote,
Here are some images of the JS572E Jigsaw and it's Blade guide system. As you can see by the last image....It works! That's a straight rip cut in 8/4" Hard Maple.
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
review-boschs-new-js572el-jigsaw-img_5819.jpg   review-boschs-new-js572el-jigsaw-img_5826.jpg   review-boschs-new-js572el-jigsaw-img_5828.jpg   review-boschs-new-js572el-jigsaw-img_5831.jpg   review-boschs-new-js572el-jigsaw-img_5834.jpg  

review-boschs-new-js572el-jigsaw-img_5832.jpg   review-boschs-new-js572el-jigsaw-img_5842.jpg   review-boschs-new-js572el-jigsaw-img_5847.jpg  
Old 09-06-2012, 10:49 PM

Brian, Thanks for the pics, those guides look very good and should hold the blades in the correct position even cutting circles. I do use a router for most circle work, but still like to use the Jigsaw for quick circles work.

The light and guides are my biggest concerns with these JS. I am getting old and blind and the Trion PS 300 really test me how far the blade sits on the stock. Now when using that saw I actually stand in front of the saw and bring the cut to me so I can see my cut line.

Thanks again for the pics...
Ted
Old 09-07-2012, 12:23 AM

Brian,

Looks likes a great saw, I have an older Bosch that I broke the tool less handle and the foot, so I was going to get the Carvex (on the way home from taking a photo of Bigfoot,) but I think you changed my mind. One question: how does the quick release work for the blade? The older ones had to have the upper knob turned around and then pushed down and was made too weak.

Thanks,
Rutager
Old 09-07-2012, 12:30 AM

rutager,
Just one lever, nothing to line up and it also ejects the blades so there is no need to grab a hot blade.
Brian