talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Reviews

Reviews Reviews of machines, tools, and accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Review of Bosch's new JS572EL Jigsaw

Thanks so much for the review and the pictures, Brian. You're very persuasive. I have the barrel-grip Trion, but have never been happy with how hard it is to see the line (and no, I haven't used it upside down enough to be comfortable that way). You make a great case for the Bosch - I'm wondering about trading up.

Anyone want a barely-used Trion?

Old 09-07-2012, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Anyone want a barely-used Trion?
Can't give the darn things away
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-07-2012, 02:58 PM

This is why I keep holding onto my Bosch Barrel Grip Jig Saw. It is an early model with the Clic Blade release system, the one with the red or orange plastic release in the top of the front guide handle. Bought it way back in the early 90s.
Easy to see when cutting, variable speed, blower adjustment for dust, and the barrel is smaller in diameter than newer jig saws from several manufs., so it's comfortable in smaller hands as well.
No dust collection though, the only true knock I can give it. I think it's the 1584AVS model? At work now, so no pictures. I've tried the Trion, the newer Bosch models, and still wait for the Carvex, version 2.0, next year.
Meanwhile, my old Bosch unit keeps cutting along..

Last edited by Leakyroof; 09-07-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-14-2012, 03:55 AM

I picked up a barrel grip at the WIA show in Pasadena today. Spent some time trying both out and talking to the Bosch rep. This jigsaw is really good...lots of power, adjustable to cut square, tool-less adjustments, a light...got home and did a few quick cuts. After a minor adjustment to square the base to the blade I was able to get perfectly 90 degree cuts! I had been holding out for the Carvex, but needed a new jigsaw and the timing and price was right on this unit.

Scot
Old 10-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

It was great to meet you at the show, Scott. Glad it was successful for you - if not your wallet. I have the same jigsaw - I don't use it much, but it's just the thing when you need it.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
It was great to meet you at the show, Scott. Glad it was successful for you - if not your wallet. I have the same jigsaw - I don't use it much, but it's just the thing when you need it.
I only had a chance to play with it a little after fighting all that traffic to get home, but so far I am impressed with it...I am going to do some more test cuts and see how it works. The price was right for sure...I only wish Bosch had more of the little anti-splinter inserts readily available...I am going to order some as I like to swap them out when they get chewed up. The Bosch rep said the parallel fence and circle cutter was going to be available no later than March so I will probably add that when it comes out. I am also interested to try it with some Festool blades and compare and contrast it with the Bosch blades.

Scot
Old 10-15-2012, 06:10 AM

So gentlemen, is it safe to say that if a decision is to be made between the current Trion & the Bosh 572, all of you would choose the 572?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc4som View Post
So gentlemen, is it safe to say that if a decision is to be made between the current Trion & the Bosh 572, all of you would choose the 572?
That is what I decided to do. This just seemed to have all the things I was hoping for in the Carvex available today and no issues seeing the cut line. Power and dust collection have been good for a jigsaw and I like the fact that I can adjust for square. I noticed in thicker hardwoods I had more trouble cutting square with the T308 blades, but the precision blades worked very well for perpendicular, but not as smooth of cut. I need to play around with it more but so far I am happy. Anyone use the Bosch with Festool's Trion blades? I am thinking the thicker blades will ensure a perfect 90 degrees and I am hoping the quality of cut will be smooth or at least smoother than Bosch's precision blade.

Scot
Old 10-17-2012, 03:50 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

The double roller guide on the Bosch makes more sense to me than the stationary carbide blocks on the Festools. The Maffell jigsaw looks awesome but for the price you could buy 2 Bosch and have enough mony left for about a hundred blades. Or, outfit each Bosch in an actual Systainer
Old 10-17-2012, 11:26 PM

doc4som,
I can't speak for "all" but I have both and the Trion has not been seen since the 572 arrived. The visibility (twin led lights) and chip blowing features alone....make it the hands down choice.
Once the Carvex is released here, we'll all have a chance to revisit the question, but for now... I'll be using the 572.