What's in the box .......... ?

Why, the new Veritas O1 Bench Chisels!

Reviewed here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolRev...selReview.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 05-15-2012, 01:16 PM

Default Re: The Veritas Bench Chisels Reviewed

Nice job Derek!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Well done, Derek! A very complete and informative review.

Thank you for posting the link.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

That box is a work of art!!!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:10 AM
Administrator

Derek, I have a question, what do you mean by the term "minimal lands"?

Old 05-16-2012, 01:17 AM

The "land" is the edge/intersection of the shoulder and back (or face) of the chisel blade. The most minimal land is an edge that is sharp, that is, comes to a point. The advantage of keeping this minimal is, as you know, so that the corners of a dovetail are not bruised.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
That box is a work of art!!!
Thanks WW.

I was asked for pictures of the box I made for the Veritas chisels, and how it was hinged.

The hinge is different. It had to allow the lid to stay up on its own.

Here is the front of the box again ..

Here is the rear ..

The lid is pinned from the side. At the rear you can see the lid and the box are both bevelled at the join.

Here is another rear view ...

.. and one more from the side ..

Internally, there is a rounded bar that closes over the curve in the handles. This secures them in place even if the box is upended. The grain in the bar runs in the same direction as the lid (the lid is bookmatched from two pieces). The rear of the chisels rests against a leather filler (leather over wood). The chisel handles lie inside a dovetail-shaped recess (there is an image of this being pared in the review) .

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 05-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekcohen View Post

The "land" is the edge/intersection of the shoulder and back (or face) of the chisel blade. The most minimal land is an edge that is sharp, that is, comes to a point. The advantage of keeping this minimal is, as you know, so that the corners of a dovetail are not bruised.
Thanks, Derek, I'm familiar with the concept involved, but the terminology was new to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekcohen View Post

... The hinge is different. It had to allow the lid to stay up on its own.

... At the rear you can see the lid and the box are both bevelled at the join.

... Internally, there is a rounded bar that closes over the curve in the handles. This secures them in place even if the box is upended. The grain in the bar runs in the same direction as the lid (the lid is bookmatched from two pieces). The rear of the chisels rests against a leather filler (leather over wood). The chisel handles lie inside a dovetail-shaped recess.
Well thought out, and well executed.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:23 PM

Terrific review Derek, thanks. You would think that there's not much you could do to improve a chisel after all these centuries, but Veritas seem to have raised the bar in key areas.

I found out the long way that smaller chisels need to have steeper bevels as I was constantly resharpening them, every few cuts!

Also, the handles look really good and comfortable. I took a bandsaw to my chisel handles not only to lop off an inch or so from the length, but because I prefer an octagonal cross-section.

I think I will wait for the new powdered metal chisels though, as these really could be revolutionary chisels.

Thanks again for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review.

P.S. There was one photo in the review which really gave me the willies- I am sure it was just the way you held the chisel for the photo, but if anyone uses one like that they could have a very serious accident if the chisel slips or breaks through the wood. It's the one where you are paring a dovetail.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:34 AM

I am beginning to wonder if we have not yet reached the apex of the golden age of hand tools?