talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Woodworking Machinery and Tools > Reviews

Reviews Reviews of machines, tools, and accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 06:32 AM

Default Panel Max Pro Clamps are AWESOME!

I recently picked up 3 sets of the Panel max pro panel clamp system from Peachtree. Each set comes with 3- 43" clamps and 1- 39" mounting rail. The sticker price is pretty high at 349.00 each but I talked them into giving me a price very close to their 199.00 sale price earlier this year.

Instead of mounting them to the wall I opted to build a frame to mount the clamps to. I figured that it would be better that way so I could move the whole system later if I wanted to. Also I have cinder block walls that are not even close to being straight and flat making a wall install difficult.

I built the frame 10' long and mounted the rails end to end. I also sprayed some finish on it figuring it would be more stable and easier to clean glue off if I needed too.

I have to say that these clamps just perform, and I really enjoy it when a tool does it's job well. It's job is to clamp up panels and align the joints when pressure is applied. While it is not a no brainer and completely aligns everything perfectly I only had to do a little persuasion with my rubber mallet to get some the joints perfect. I think some the issues during the mis alignment was the fact that I was glueing up multiple panels 2-3 at a time and where the 2 boards from sepate panels met there wasnt any lubrication factor of glue between them and the clamps had a hard time with the friction there.

The outcome couldnt have been better. It is a very fast system due to the time it saves in being a self aligning system. It also takes up alot less floor space than flat glue ups. Doing all the glue ups I am doing for the Chechen stair (future project post pics in gallery) wouldnt have been possible with all the wood and tools in my small shop.

here are some of the glue ups Im talking about.

The alignment is really good! Nearly perfect. Just as good as domino alignment just a whole lot faster.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Panel Max Pro Clamps are AWESOME!

That looks really sweet, Eiji. Pretty cool that you can glue up those angled boards so easily. This'll be a real money-saver for you.

Perhaps you said, but what's the widest panel you can glue up on that? Also, how do you avoid marks on the edge the clamp pushes against?
Old 11-07-2010, 06:47 AM

I can clamp about 40-42" wide.

I didnt get any marking or marring on the edges. I am using a very hard wood there though so I imagine there could be some marring on the soft woods like cherry and alder. I usually make up my panels 1/4" over sized anyway so it wouldnt bother me. I make them over sized just for that reason and also I have found its a good insurance for the inevetable dings while moving the panels during processing. your talking about on the edges correct?
Old 11-07-2010, 01:10 PM

That's quite a set up and some impressive panels. Great job.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:04 PM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.

Sweet!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EijiFuller View Post
I can clamp about 40-42" wide.

I didnt get any marking or marring on the edges. I am using a very hard wood there though so I imagine there could be some marring on the soft woods like cherry and alder. I usually make up my panels 1/4" over sized anyway so it wouldnt bother me. I make them over sized just for that reason and also I have found its a good insurance for the inevetable dings while moving the panels during processing. your talking about on the edges correct?
Thanks, Eiji - yes, you answered all my questions. Looks like a really great system, freeing up tons of space in the shop, and giving flat panels fast. Great investment!
Old 11-09-2010, 03:48 PM

Very nice indeed! I want to die and come back as you. We all should have your money!
The 3rd picture shows some angled boards glued up. What in the world are you making there?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-09-2010, 03:51 PM

Eiji,

Are these clamps the same as the Plano brand?
My Felder rep sells Plano...

Good looking setup

Mirko
Old 11-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKirkpatrick View Post
Very nice indeed! I want to die and come back as you. We all should have your money!
The 3rd picture shows some angled boards glued up. What in the world are you making there?
I'm pretty sure Eiji works his a$$ off to earn the money to buy this stuff. Plus, he's really good!

I'm guessing it's a landing for a staircase (the angled boards)...
Old 11-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I have an antique trunk that is made of angled boards, jointed and dowelled together. It is pre-1840 Swedish or German, according to the appraiser that looked at it. I suppose they wasted no good wood, as most was hand worked.
Attached Thumbnails
panel-max-pro-clamps-awesome-auction-photos-007.jpg   panel-max-pro-clamps-awesome-auction-photos-008.jpg   panel-max-pro-clamps-awesome-auction-photos-013.jpg  

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959